Pressure Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs

When I saw Heather’s post on cooking hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker, I wanted to share it with my readers. Luckily, she agreed to do a guest post on Pressure Cooking Today and share her technique. You’re definitely going to want to try this in your pressure cooker. Thanks Heather!

Hi I’m Heather, a wife and mother of two energetic boys. I love to create healthy, delicious meals for my family and share them on my blog Healthy Family Cookin. One of my favorite kitchen tools is the pressure cooker so I was excited when Barbara approached me about doing this guest post on her new blog. I love the pressure cooker because of its versatility, its ease of use, and most of all because in it you can cook delicious, healthy food in mere minutes!

My boys love to eat hard boiled eggs and I don’t mind because they are a delicious, healthy snack. I never used to like cooking them, however, because you have to watch closely while they are cooking on the stove so that the water doesn’t boil too hard to crack the eggs or spill all over the stove. Another difficulty is that the eggs often stick to the shells, making them difficult to peel.

When I read Laura’s post at Hip Pressure Cooking about cooking hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker, I was intrigued. I thought the idea sounded great, but cooking one egg at a time as she demonstrated would be inadequate for my needs. I decided to expand upon her idea of cooking one egg in the pressure cooker to cooking several using canning lids to separate them and keep them from bumping into each other. I discovered that my 6 quart Cuisnart electric pressure cooker can cook up to ten hard boiled eggs at a time using this method.

The method is simple. First place the trivet in the bottom of the pressure cooker. Next add about a cup of water. Place the canning lids on the bottom and arrange the eggs in and around the lids. Heat up the pressure cooker until it reaches low pressure and then cook for 6 minutes. Allow the pressure to go down naturally and then immediately remove the eggs and cool them in ice water to stop the cooking process. When they are cool, the eggs will crack with ease, look beautiful, and taste perfect every time!

Heather has a great video showing the steps and how easy it is to cook eggs perfectly in the pressure cooker. You need to go watch it, you’ll be amazed how easily they peel.

I pressure cooked 6 eggs in my pressure cooker on low pressure. It took 6 minutes to pressure up, 6 minutes cook time, and 6 minutes for a natural pressure release for perfectly cooked eggs.

Pressure-Cooking-Eggs-in-Silicone-Baking-Cups

Update: After some feedback from readers, I decided to try separating my eggs with silicone baking cups. The result was terrific, no broken eggs even on a second layer and no discoloration on the whites. Visit my Easter egg post for more info on using silcone cups .

More pressure cooking recipes from Healthy Family Cookin:

Alphabet Soup
Corn bread in a Pressure Cooker
Delicious Fudgey Brownies in a Pressure Cooker

Don't miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today by Email

Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Pressure Cooking Today when you shop!

Comments

Leave a Comment:

1. Gayle says

By the way, I tried a new way to keep the eggs separated and it worked like a dream. I happened to purchase some of the silicone cupcake “wrappers” recently. Still trying to figure out the easiest way to cook eggs in the pressure cooker, I decided to put one egg in each little holder. I still used the folding steamer in the bottom of the pot and then put the eggs in, in the silicone holders, added a cup of water and cooked them on high for my usual 6 minutes. They were great and not a cracked shell among them. So that’s my new way of cooking eggs.

2. Belinda says

Barbara do you know if a cuisinart electric pressure cooker can be used in canning jams, produce, and other foods in jars. Do you know of a site online that would give a timetable for processing? Thank you.

• Gayle says

I’m not Barbara but I’ll post what I know/understand about canning. Electric pressure cookers should never be used for canning. Some things can be canned without using a pressure canner but some things required pressure canning but for those, you need to get a true pressure canner that meets the size requirements — not a pressure cooker. You can join a Yahoo group that is all about preserving food by canning, freezing, and dehydrating. I hope it’s OK to post the link. Here it is:

The USDA (US Dept. of Agriculture) set standards for canning and you can find them here:

I don’t think there are any electric pressure canners because the temperatures vary to much to make for safe canning. There seems to be one that is being advertised as if it could be used for canning but all the knowledgeable people that I know of say that it shouldn’t be used for canning in spite of the advertising.

3. Delia Watson says

I just love pressure cooked eggs. I use my baby bottle steam sterilizer basket on top of the rack supplied with the pressure cooker . The basket has nice size holes in it so the eggs can stand upright. My pressure cooker is an AEG electronic and I find that a 3 minute high pressure cooking time for 6-8 eggs using just a cup of water deliver the perfect boiled egg every time. As soon as the timer beeps, I manually release the pressure and place the eggs in a cold water bath. It is just so much easier than the stove top!

4. Karen says

I am worried about the steamer scratings the bottom of my nonstick pot. I did this once and already noticed a little scratching. Any suggestions? By the way the eggs were perfect!

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Karen – You can buy silicone steamers. The one I have is a bit harder to get in and out of the pot though. So glad the eggs were perfect. I never hard boil eggs any other way now.

• Karen says

Thanks! After some searching I found out that I can also put a cloth on the bottom of the pot and then put the metal strainer in. I am going to try that next. :)

5. says

I love my pressure cooker – one the my favorite appliances, hands-down. But it seems like a lot of work and time for eggs. I get perfect eggs every time – bring eggs and water to boil, remove from heat and cover as soon as the water boils. 10 minutes, and plunge in cold water and they’re done. Probably less time than in the pressure cooker.

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Sheri – if you count the time it takes the water to come to a boil it’s probably about the same time or less time, but the eggs peel so much easier. Since you have a pressure cooker, you really should try it some time.

• says

The way I do my eggs in the pressure cooker is probably less time. I only use about a cup of water so it doesn’t take long for that to come to a boil and build up pressure — probably a lot less time than a whole pot of water with cold eggs in it. I have the time set for 6 minutes and as soon as that is done, I do a quick release and put the eggs into an ice bath. Total time about 10 to 12 minutes. And the eggs are so much easier to peel and the eggs are always the same — that’s what I like. When I was doing them in a pot on the stove, I never got them “just right” but now I do.

6. Dianna F says

I tried this today. Am I doing something wrong? The pressure cooker didn’t lock (which would indicate that pressure had built up) and turned itself to warm after about 10 minutes. The yolks were soft cooked…delicious, but not what I was looking for.

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Dianna – I’m going to assume that your pressure cooker did lock and you did everything right. Cook times can vary depending on your altitude, how much water you used, etc. Since your eggs were soft cooked, I would suggest just trying again and adding a minute. I love cooking eggs this way and I think it’s well worth trying it again to find the perfect time for you. Thanks for the question.

7. Jenny says

Isn’t it bad form to republish someone Else’s technique TWICE!?!?

I learned to pressure cook my eggs from the hip site as well. I was hoping to see something new, instead it’s a post I saw a year ago about a post I saw two years ago.

Oh well!!

-jen

• Barbara says

Hi Jen – I don’t think it’s bad form at all. Blogs are all about sharing ideas and linking to one another’s posts. Heather wanted to share her technique using canning rings and wrote the guest post. She credits Laura and I’ve linked to Laura’s post so others can check it out as well. So Laura gets new hits on her old post, Heather gets people checking out her site and I get to share this technique with my readers who may have never seen it. Laura has agreed to do a guest post on Pressure Cooking Today next year when her life slows down a little bit.

My goal is to post a new recipe I’ve made on Wednesdays and to feature someone else’s recipe, have a guest post, or a pressure cooking tip on Sundays. So maybe just stop by on Wednesdays.

• says

I think, like anything else, we’re all at different levels in the pressure cooking world. Just because some of us have been there, done that doesn’t mean that there is no value in returning to the past and finding new and better ways to do the things that are shared online. I’ve found value in returning to this subject myself just by hearing some of the comments shared today about how others are using techniques just slightly different than mine. I agree with Barbara that blogging is about sharing and linking to each other and there is merit for all in doing that.

• says

Thanks Jenny! As long as the original source of the technique is clearly noted and linked, I don’t mind.

I appreciate loyal fans, and am glad you were able to discover this new pressure cooking blog – it holds promise and I think it will do well. There is a lot of ground left to cover with our pressure cookers and there is plenty of room for all of us!!

Ciao,

L

8. Bonnie says

Barbara, I like all things pressure cooker and I am enjoying your blog. I love making hard boiled eggs in my pressure cooker. I got “hip” to this when I first saw it on Laura’s post as well. I use high pressure (at the time I didn’t have a cooker with a low pressure option). Being the untimate short cut girl, I don’t even bother with anything to keep the eggs from touching, and I don’t use a steamer basket, or trivet – I just put them right on the bottom of the pan with 1 cup of water. Like Gayle, I do a quick release after 6 minutes and the eggs are good to go.

• Barbara says

Fun to know so many people are cooking eggs in their pressure cooker. I’ll have to try a few different techniques to see what works best for me. Thanks!

9. says

I cook eggs in my pressure cooker and the only thing I do differently is that I do a quick release and an ice bath rather than let the pressure release naturally. I also use a Cuisinart 6 qt and I’ve done a dozen at a time. I don’t care if they bump into each other — my experience is that even if they crack, they don’t leak and the eggs are still intact and just fine, so I just put them close together and have even layered a couple to do a dozen. I use a vegetable steamer (the folding type) so it keeps them from hitting the sides of the pot.

• says

Thanks for the tips Gayle! I actually tried this this morning with just putting the eggs on the bottom, without the trivet. I agree you can do a lot more at a time this way – up to 13 in my 6-quart. The only benefit to raising them on the trivet may be that they might cook a bit more evenly that way because the eggs aren’t sitting directly on the bottom of the pan. I think the canning lids are mostly helpful if you don’t want to fill the cook that many eggs. I have had some roll around, crack and even leak a little without the canning lids, so it’s easy to put the eggs in them in just in case.

• says

I agree that if you want the egg shells unbroken, you need to keep them separate. But as I said in my post, I don’t usually care about that part.

For Easter, you would want to keep them separate so the shells don’t crack — otherwise you will have the egg whites as well as the shells colored.

I haven’t done eggs without the steamer because I actually do steam them. I don’t want them in the water — I would think they would cook unevenly. I know people who use the pressure cooker and cover the eggs completely. I don’t, I keep them out of the water completely. I think it is quicker without so much water to heat up and 6 minutes makes them just the way I want.