Spaghetti Squash

Did you know you can cook spaghetti squash in the pressure cooker? It cooks quickly, and it’s softer and better tasting than cooked in a microwave.

Spaghetti squash is a great alternative to pasta. There are only 42 calories in 1 cup of cooked spaghetti squash, so it’s a perfect start to making a hearty, healthy meal that’s also low in calories.

I served the spaghetti squash Cincinnati Chili Mac style topped with a quick Black Bean Chili with Chicken Sausage. I’ll post that pressure cooker chili recipe soon.

Spaghetti Squash

Ingredients

• 3 lb. spaghetti squash
  • 1 cup water

Directions

1. Cut off the stem end of the squash, cut the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Add water to the pressure cooker pot. Place the spaghetti squash on a steamer basket or rack in the pot. Cook 8 minutes on high pressure. Use a quick pressure release.
  2. When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrap the strands of “spaghetti” from the skin.

More delicious ways to serve spaghetti squash:

Spaghetti Squash with Quick Pasta Sauce, Barbara Bakes
Spaghetti Squash Coconut Custard Pie, Barbara Bakes
Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Basil, Steamy Kitchen
Spaghetti Squash with Swiss Chard, Dried Cranberries & Dijon Vinaigrette, Cookin’ Canuck
Twice-Baked Spaghetti Squash with Pesto and Parmesan, Kalyn’s Kitchen

Don't miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today by Email

Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Pressure Cooking Today when you shop!

Comments

Leave a Comment:

1. Iris says

Thank you for the wonderful instructions on cooking the spaghetti squash. Tonight, I prepped the squash as you’ve detailed, and then I sautéed some spicy Italian sausage, red peppers, onions, serving it over a garlic Alfredo sauce. It was divine!

2. Michael Reinfeldt says

The spaghetti squash are just starting to get ripe in my garden, tonight I am pressure cooking the first one. Going to do a tomato garlic basil sauce inspired by Gennaro Contaldo to put over it.

3. Michelle says

I don’t have any insert that came with my pressure cooker. Will any kind of rack work? Is the key just to keep it up off the bottom?? Thank you!

4. A. says

LOVE pressure-cooking spaghetti squash — so quick. I actually toss the entire squash into the pressure cooker whole (on a trivet). Once it cools, it’s easy to cut in half and scoop out the seeds (to roast later).

I hate trying to hack into a raw gourd — my hands aren’t strong enough. :)

• says

I’m going to try it this way next time too! I thought about doing it but worried about it exploding in the p/c because actually one time we cooked one in the microwave and must not have poked holes in it good enough because it exploded and actually broke the seal to our microwave so we had to get a new one…but if it’s worked for you, then maybe I’ll be brave enough to try it…

• says

Made spaghetti squash this way last night for dinner. My husband wondered if I had added sugar to it – it was so sweet and delicious! Thanks for sharing a great technique.

• says

Oh and I didn’t remove the stem or the seeds – just washed it off, cut it in half and stuck it in the p/c. It’s actually easier to remove the seeds after they have cooked…

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Heather – thanks for coming back and letting me know you tried it. Makes me want to make it again soon. What did you serve with it?

5. says

Oh, shucks! I threw out a spaghetti squash my sister gave to me (shhh!) just three days ago because I simply didn’t know what I was going to do with it! Had I known about this, however . . .

6. says

Oooh, Spaghetti Squash is one of my favorites. I didn’t know it tasted different microwaved (I don’t have microwave).

When I came to the U.S. this summer I pressure cooked spaghetti squash and then sauteed it briefly in sage butter sauce. My husband, who was out of the kitchen during the whole operation, imagined me making and cooking home-made pasta with squash pulp- how did you get each noodle so perfect?!?

Shhhhh! It’s our secret. ; )

Ciao,