Pork Chops in the Pressure Cooker

Today’s post is a guest post from a Pressure Cooker Today reader. Lisa loves her Fagor stove top pressure cooker. “We had it on our wedding registry, and almost 14 years later, it works perfectly.”

————

A little about myself…hmm. I am originally from Massachusetts, and have lived in Salt Lake for 17 years. As far as cooking, baking is actually my first love. I do not do as much cooking or baking as I used to now that I have kids – 5 year old boy/girl twins. I am a working mom which keeps me pretty busy. When I do have down time, besides baking, I love to read.

Well, the name of this recipe is really how I have always referred to it. My Mom has been making this since I can remember. I grew up thinking a pressure cooker is a pretty cool way to cook food, and I made sure to register for one when I got married.

I have not been using my pressure cooker as much over the last couple of years. Not sure why. That said, my goal is to start using it more often. I made this recipe a few weeks ago, when my parents were visiting, and was reminded of just how good it was.

Pork-Chops-Collage

I usually serve it with rolls or bread of some kind. Pick your favorite!! This recipe is quite versatile, and I have some notes at the end you may want to refer to.

Pork Chops in the Pressure Cooker

Pork Chops in the Pressure Cooker

Ingredients

• 4 thick-cut, bone-in pork chops
  • 1 green pepper, chopped*
  • 1 onion, chopped*
  • 6-8 carrots, peeled & coarsely chopped*
  • 6-8 Russet potatoes, peeled & coarsely chopped*
  • 1 small can of mushrooms, with liquid, or 1-2 cups of button mushrooms coarsely chopped (your preference)
  • 1 small can of tomato sauce, or homemade tomato sauce or tomato soup (your preference)

Directions

1. Brown pork chops in a bit of olive oil in the pressure cooker.
  2. remove excess oil,and put pork chops back in.
  3. Add green pepper and onion
  4. Add carrots.
  5. Add potatoes
  6. Add mushrooms
  7. Mix tomato sauce/soup with water to equal 12 oz
  8. Secure lid of pressure cooker and bring up to pressure.
  9. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
  10. Remove from heat and let the cooker come down from pressure on its own.

Notes

Notes: For the green pepper and onion, I usually chop these roughly. However I do not leave them in big pieces. This way, they dissolve a bit, and my kids cannot find them.

For the carrots, I leave them in 1 1/2 - 2 inch pieces, so they do not dissolve. For the potatoes, Russet potatoes hold their shape best. In this version, I did use sweet potatoes. Even with keeping the pieces big, the potatoes still broke down once cooked.

Regarding the amount of carrots and potatoes to use: it really depends upon the size of the carrots and potatoes, and the size of your pressure cooker. I only used four potatoes, because they were so big.

That’s it. Pretty simple, right? This recipe is a hearty, warm dish for fall and winter. You could probably make it in the slow cooker, too.

————

Thanks Lisa for sharing a little bit about yourself, and your family’s pork chip recipeI had some boneless pork chops in the freezer, so I cooked the recipe this week. We were out of potatoes so I served the pork chops over noodles instead. Delicious!

Don't miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today by Email

Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Pressure Cooking Today when you shop!

Comments

Leave a Comment:

1. Chris Juricich says

Mm. I cooked boneless pork chops in my Fagor today but my wife was disappointed in that, while cooked thoroughly, the middle of these chops were pretty dry. Not sure how to get around this, at least while cooking with the pressure cooker. Could be that pork chops aren’t the best match for a PCooker?

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Chris – sorry your pork chops were dry. They were probably cooked too long. Boneless chops that are very lean and thin will require less time under pressure.

2. Diana P. says

This looks good. Going to try it tonight, Would you happen to know approximately how many calories per serving in this dish?

3. JILL says

hi, i cook at a restaurant in a small town in indiana. Im new to cooking in a restaurant where prep has to be quick. we have a Pork Shank on our menu that is to die for BUT it takes so long to cook in the oven (approx 1/2 hour) which makes it difficult. its also unpredictable b/c the size varies from one to the next. Could I do them in the pressure cooker? and if so how long and do I add water?

thanks, Jill

4. sandi says

Hi I am new to cooking with a pressure cooker and Id like to know if I use a canned soup do I use an equal amount of water? Will I use the 1 to 1 ratio for all the soup or sauces I use?

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Sandi – if you’re using soup as a sauce, you’ll want it thicker than if you’re eating it as a soup. There’s very little evaporation in the pressure cooker, so don’t thin out your sauce as much as you would when using the oven or the stove. If after cooking, your sauce is still to thin, just use the saute/simmer setting and cook the sauce until it’s the consistency you want.

5. Johanna says

It would be helpful to have reviews of people who actually tried the recipe, not just people who thought the recipe looked good.

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Johanna – that would be great. I’d love for you to make them and leave some feedback. Thanks.

6. Lisa says

I’m confused. Is the picture at the top of the page the same recipe? Where are the potatoes, carrots, etc? It looks like an entirely different recipe…

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Lisa – I mentioned at the bottom of the post that I also made the recipe, but I made it without the veggies and served the pork chops over noodles. The first picture I took and the others are Lisa’s pictures. I really need to be better at including more veggies in my meals. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Carol says

Boy does this look delicious. I usually shy away from pork chops and stick with roasts because chops tend to dry out so quickly. Not any more-the next time the grocery store has a sale on bone-in chops, I’m buying some to give this a try. I can’t wait!

I’m waving hello to you, Lisa, from MA! Thanks so much to you and Barbara for sharing your recipe,

Carol

• Barbara Schieving says

Thanks Carol – you do have to to careful to not cook pork chops too long. You could even try shortening the cooking time if you’re concerning about it. It’s easy to pressure it back up for a minute or two if it’s needed.