Easy Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy

Easy Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy | Pressure Cooking Today

Fork tender, fall off the bone pork chops in a creamy mushroom gravy. Served over creamy pressure cooker mashed potatoes for an old fashioned comfort food meal.

When I got married 35 years ago, one of the meals my husband asked me to make was pork chops in mushroom gravy. It was a recipe that his mom made often and it was one of his favorites. Now it’s one of my kids’ favorites too.

How to Collage Easy Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy | PressureCookingToday.com

We refer to it as pork chops cooked the long way, but when you make them in the pressure cooker, they cook in only 18 minutes instead of hours in the oven. I don’t use canned soups often in recipes, but this recipe is one exception. The flavor is great, especially if you brown the pork chops well so you get lots of carmelization on the bottom of the pan that incorporates in to the gravy.

Easy Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy

Easy Pork Chops in Mushroom Gravy

Ingredients

• 4 bone-in thick pork chops
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • Lemon pepper

Directions

1. Pat chops dry and season liberally with Lemon Pepper (or your favorite seasoning).
  2. Put oil in the cooking pot and select Browning (or Saute on the Instant Pot). When oil begins to sizzle, brown chops on both sides. You may have to brown one or two chops at a time, depending on the size of the chops. When browned remove to a platter.
  3. When you've finished browning the chops add the water to deglaze the pan and stir to loosen any brown bits from the pan. Stir in the mushroom soup. Add pork chops and any juices that may have accumulated on the platter to the cooking pot.
  4. Lock lid in place and select High Pressure. Set timer for 18 minutes and press start. When beep sounds turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release to release pressure (approximately 15 minutes). You can also use a Natural Pressure for 10 minutes, followed by Quick Pressure Release. When valve drops carefully remove the lid.
  5. Remove chops to a large serving bowl. If necessary, thicken gravy in cooking pot on simmer with a slurry of water and flour. Pour gravy over chops to serve.

Don't miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today by Email

Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Pressure Cooking Today when you shop!

Comments

Leave a Comment:

1. TheC says

Made these last night. Followed the recipe precisely. I added a tray of fresh mushrooms to the pot before sealing it up. I used my instant pot IP-DUO60 and this recipe ROCKS.

Also made a batch of mashed potatoes in my second instant pot in 10 mins. Served everything with a side of warm sauerkraut in about 30 minutes including prep time, this was my first time ever making bone in pork chops!

Thank you for sharing this recipe!

C

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Bridget – no, you shouldn’t have to make any changes for the stove top. Just start your timer when you pressure cooker is at pressure.

2. Robin says

Hi Barbara:

I tried this recipe the other night and it was, as all said, fabulous. Had to convert from electric to stove top cooker though, no biggie. My only problem is that the chops, although soft, were a bit dry and stringy. They were frozen and mostly defrosted by microwave before browning/cooking.

Any suggestions to improve on that in the future?

Thanks!
    Robin

Thanks,
    Robin

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Robin,

So glad you thought the recipe was fabulous. A couple things to try next time – pick a chop that’s got more marbling (fat) like a pork blade chop and pick a chop that’s thicker or reduce the cooking time.

It’s hard to quickly brown meat that’s only mostly defrosted because there’s so much liquid in the meat. To finish defrosting meat without cooking the edges like often happens in the microwave, I put the meat in a Ziploc and put it in the sink with cold water – similar to how you would quickly thaw a turkey.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the question.

3. Susan Martin says

Hi Barbara!

I was the first in my family to get a pressure cooker that actually used it. There’s a learning curve, yet now I have most of my family all hooked and we share our recipes, websites, etc. This recipe is pure comfort food, but it would really help if you would list the thickness of the pork chop you use. I don’t want to overcook them! The thickness is better than say 2 pounds, because in this mouth watering picture it looks like 8 pork chops. Or did you cut them in half, or double the recipe? I love your website as does my family. Keep up the fantastic work! We really appreciate your efforts, and they are put to good use. We can tell by the satisfied smiles at the dinner table!
    Aloha Suzi

• Barbara Schieving says

Aloha Suzi – you’re right, it would be a good idea to put the thickness of the chop. I’d say they were about 3/4 of an inch. I actually tripled the recipe and tried out a new 10 qt. stove top pressure cooker. But all my recipes are written for a 6 qt. electric pressure cooker, so the pictures don’t quite match the recipe.

So fun that you’ve got your family pressure cooking. Thanks for taking the time to let me know you’re enjoying my site. It really brightens my day and encourages me to keep working on more delicious recipes.

Enjoy the pork chops!

4. Helen says

Hi Barbara – can you use pork tenderloin instead? I’m new to pressure cooking and am so excited to have found your blog (via hip pressure cooking).

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Helen,

I haven’t tried tenderloin. It cooks so quickly and is so tender I probably wouldn’t pressure cook it. A pork loin roast could easily be substituted. Just slice like chops.

5. says

Sheesh! I am amazed at how many of your recipes were the very same recipes my mom made when I was a kid, and this is one of them. However, she used to make these in a skillet on the stovetop, which I realize now is something of a surprise since she used her pressure cooker like none other! I’m going to for sure make this the pressure cooker way (the only true way, haha) from now on! Thank you!

• Barbara Schieving says

Sometimes the old fashioned recipes we grew up with are the ones we love the most. Let me know how you like it in the pressure cooker.

6. says

This was seriously one of the first things I cooked as an adult. But I’m betting mine was not nearly as tender as the pressure cooker version!