Old fashioned potato salad is a summer favorite at picnics and barbecues. My mom always made a big bowl of potato salad for family get togethers in the summer. I use to dread making potato salad, but making potato salad in the pressure cooker is quick and easy.
Instead of cooking the eggs and potatoes separately, I just nestle the eggs in between peeled and diced potatoes. After steaming them for four minutes on high in the pressure cooker, the potatoes are tender and the eggs are perfectly cooked.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. I used reduce fat mayonnaise, so it’s a bit healthier. After the cook time is up, let the eggs and potatoes cool for a few minutes, then mix them with the dressing and chill.
This recipe is so quick and easy, you can make it in the morning before you head to work and it will be chilled and ready to eat when you get home. A perfect side dish for grilled chicken, steak or burgers.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the steamer basket in the pressure cooker pot. Add the water, potatoes, and the eggs. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure, 4 minutes cook time and press start.
- When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker and do a quick pressure release. When the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket from the pressure cooking pot. Put eggs into ice cold water to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, mayo, pickle juice, and mustard. Add the potatoes and gently mix the mayonnaise mixture into the potatoes. Peel and dice three of the cooled eggs and stir into potato salad. Add salt and pepper to taste. If needed, add more mayonnaise to achieve desired consistency.
- Chill at least one hour before serving. Top with slices of remaining hard boiled egg.
Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Pressure Cooking Today when you shop!