Easy Recipes for the Pressure Cooker

Meyer-Lemon-Cheesecake-Slice-2-Pressure-Cooking-Today

Many of you got a beautiful, brand new electric pressure cooker for Christmas and you’re wondering what to cook first. Today I’m highlighting a few of my favorite recipes that are super easy and super delicious.

Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf

When you have a pressure cooker you don’t need a rice cooker. The pressure cooker makes perfect rice every time. Here’s a couple of my favorite, easy-to-make rice recipes.

Saffron Almond Rice Pilaf
Lemon Rice in the Pressure Cooker
Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice in the Pressure Cooker

Spicy Chicken Soup

The pressure cooker and soups are a perfect match. I make these fantastic soups on a regular basis all year long:

Spicy Chicken Soup
Butternut Squash Soup with Chicken and Orzo
Pork and Hominy Stew

Pressure Cooker Pot Roast

Large cuts of meats that would cook all day long in the slow cooker are done in less than 90 minutes in the pressure cooker.

Pressure Cooker Kalua Pork
Classic Pot Roast and Potatoes
Easy Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork

Pressure Cooker Applesauce

Desserts are my favorite part of the meal and I’ve made some fantastic desserts in the pressure cooker. Here’s a couple of easy recipes that I’ve made many times.

Pressure Cooker Applesauce
Creamy Pressure Cooker Rice Pudding

Pressure Cooker Hard Boiled Eggs

Once you’ve cooked hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker, you’ll never want to cook them another way ever again.

Hard Boiled Eggs in the Pressure Cooker

TIPS:

I’m sure you’ll have lots of questions. Many of your questions have already been answered in my Frequently Ask Question section.

Try some of my easy recipes first, and then once you’re comfortable using your pressure cooker, try adapting your favorite recipes for the pressure cooker. When I’m converting recipes for the pressure cooker, I use my Cuisinart Recipe Booklet as a guide to help  determine the proper cooking time.

Before long you’ll be wondering how you ever cooked without your pressure cooker, and whipping up more sophisticated desserts like my Meyer Lemon Cheesecake picture at the top of the post.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Don't miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today by Email

Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Pressure Cooking Today when you shop!

Comments

Leave a Comment:

1. Nancy A. says

I have been using my Cuisinart electric pressure cooker for making boiled eggs and baked potatoes and the other day I decided to be brave and try something different. I make a chicken and rice casserole in the oven that everybody really likes, so I put all the ingredients in my pressure cooker and set the timer for 18 minutes. I didn’t know how much time, but the one in the oven takes an hour, so I thought if it wasn’t done in 18 minutes, I could just let it cook some more. It was not only done, it was better than making it in the oven!! My husband liked it better and said we can have it more now without heating up the house in the warm weather!! It really was moist and had better flavor, so will be making it this way from now on. Just thought I’d let know I am starting to use it more and want to make beans now. It is a fantastic machine!!

2. Penelope says

I just got my very first electric pressure cooker & am oh so glad to find your site.
    You have answered so many of my unanswered questions. Today I tried my favorite
    potato soup. Figured out from you how to saute the onion & bacon..then used
    chicken broth, added the potatoes & seriously cooked this only 5 min. Took out half the potatoes
    & pureed in my blender with some milk (so NO roux needed to thicken)..added this back in and voile..soup in like 10-15 min.
    I am amazed & can’t wait to cook other items..like your cheese cake\..just got my pan on Amazon
    & off to buy Meyer lemons tomorrow.
    Thank you SO much for your site & ALL your help!!!

3. Nancy A. says

Another question. I have been using my pressure cooker quite a bit this week and wondered if it supposed to have a loud hissing noise and lots of steam? Mine is very quiet and I have heard they are noisy and hiss along while cooking. Didn’t know if mine should be steaming and hissing. Sorry for all the questions, just new to this way of cooking and want to make sure I do it right. Thank you!!

• Barbara Schieving says

The new electric pressure cookers are very quiet. There will be steam and noise for a short time right before it reaches pressure, but very little noise or steam while it’s cooking, or during a natural pressure release. If you’re having good results you’re doing it just right :)

4. Nancy A. says

Today I tried hard boiled eggs in my pressure cooker and it actually worked for me! I thought I would open the lid and have eggs that had blown up or something, but they weren’t even cracked. The shell practically fell off and this just may be the only way I do eggs from now on. So easy, so delicious! Thank you for all the wonderful recipes and tips!!

• Barbara Schieving says

I love how much easier the hard boiled eggs made in the pressure cooker are to peel. So glad you gave it a try.

5. Nancy A. says

I bought a steamer basket that is silicone to make the hard boiled eggs, will it work okay in the pressure cooker. I made the “baked” potatoes in the pressure cooker and they turned out real well! Much better than a microwave one, not mushy. They were like out of the oven, but in 15 minutes ( more for natural release) not an hour or more in the oven. By the way, does natural release mean to turn off the cooker and unplug, or leave it on Keep Warm? I turned it off, but wondered if that was right. Thank you!

• Barbara Schieving says

Yes, it’s fine to use a silicone steamer basket in the pressure cooker. I don’t use the one I have much because it’s harder to get in and out of the pressure cooker than my OXO steamer.

I haven’t tried baked potatoes in the pressure cooker yet. Don’t know why. I’ll have to try it soon. Thanks for the info.

Yes, for a natural release turn off the cooker. You don’t necessarily have to unplug it, but I often do both. It will also natural pressure release on the keep warm setting, it will just take longer.

6. Raylene says

This was my first time to use a pressure cooker. I made the cheesy chicken broccoli and rice. It had really good flavor, but my rice did not get completely cooked. I was wondering if you have any tips for me.
    Thanks

• Barbara Schieving says

Hi Raylene – super easy fix. If your rice isn’t completely cooked in a dish like the cheesy chicken broccoli casserole, just turn the pressure cooker to simmer or saute, and simmer for a few minutes until the rice is your desired consistency. You can add a little bit of water if your sauce needs a bit more liquid. If you’re not in a hurry, you could also just put the lid back on (with the pressure cooker off) and let the rice steam for several minutes.

Great question. Thanks!

7. Nancy A. says

Forgot that I was going to ask where the recipe is for that cheesecake at the top of the page. It looks so good and I didn’t realize I could make a cheesecake in a pressure cooker. Where do you find a pan that will fit in there for one?

8. Nancy A. says

Thank you for these great recipes for the new pressure cooker person. It is a great gift for me today, as I have a new electric one and need directions for any and every thing. I am definitely trying the applesauce later this week.