A quick pressure cooker meatloaf covered in smokey bacon and smothered in tangy bbq sauce. Cooks in only 20 minutes, so meatloaf doesn’t have to be just for Sunday dinner any more.
One of the recipes people often search for on Pressure Cooking Today is pressure cooker meatloaf. We don’t eat ground beef very often, but my family does have a favorite meatloaf. So I decided to turn my family’s favorite meatloaf, the Pioneer Woman Meatloaf’s recipe, in to a faster, more moist, tasty pressure cooker recipe. With the flavors of a big juicy American BBQ bacon cheese burger, this meatloaf is pure comfort food.
I debated whether to cook the meatloaf in my springform pan or on a steaming insert, but in the end decided to use the sling technique from America’s Test Kitchen’s pressure cooking cookbook Pressure Cooker Perfection.
It’s important to shape the meatloaf so that it will fit in your pressure cooking pot. My meatloaf was about 6-inches wide by 7-inches long, and fit perfectly in my Instant Pot Duo.
The meatloaf makes 8 servings. You could divide the recipe in half and reduce the cooking time by several minutes, but I think this meatloaf tastes even better the next day. So even if you’re not feeding a crowd, I recommend you just enjoy cooking once and eating twice.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 bread slices
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry’s
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 8 bacon slices (I used Hormel frozen fully cooked bacon)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, divided
- In a mixing bowl, pour the milk over the bread and allow it to soak for several minutes.
- Add the ground beef, Parmesan cheese, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, parsley and beaten eggs. With clean hands, mix just until well blended.
- Fold a sheet of tin foil in to a 16-inch long by 7 inch wide sling. Shape the meat mixture in to a loaf in the center of the sling. Lay the bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf. Spread 1/4 cup BBQ sauce on top of the bacon.
- Put a trivet in to the pressure cooking pot and add 2 cups of water. Place the meatloaf on the sling onto the trivet.
- Lock the lid in place and select high pressure and 20 minutes cooking time. When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker and do a quick pressure release.
- Remove meatloaf from the pressure cooker and place on a broiler pan. Spread remaining 1/4 cup BBQ sauce over the meatloaf. Broil for about 5 minutes until the BBQ sauce starts caramelize.