A creamy, chunky sweet potato cheese soup loaded with tender chunks of sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, corn and bacon.
One of my family’s favorite soups is my pressure cooker Chunky Potato Cheese Soup. I decided it would be fun to change it up and add some sweet potatoes for the extra nutrition.
My family isn’t super crazy about sweet potatoes, so I used both russet and sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes cook more quickly than the russets, so I cooked them separately. Cooking the potatoes on the steamer keeps them chunky and firm giving the soup a great texture.
I love the bright orange pop of color the sweet potatoes gave the soup. If you’re trying to get your family to like sweet potatoes, this is a great way to do it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 3 cups peeled and cubed russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 slices crisp-cooked bacon, crumbled
- Select Saute and add butter to the pressure cooker pot. When butter is melted, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1 can chicken broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley to the onions.
- Put the steamer basket in the pressure cooker pot. Add the sweet potatoes to the steamer basket. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 2 minutes cook time and start. When timer beeps, turn off pressure and do a quick pressure release.Carefully remove sweet potatoes and set aside.
- Add the russet potatoes to the steamer basket. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 4 minutes cook time and start. When timer beeps, turn off pressure do a quick pressure release. Carefully remove potatoes and steamer basket from the pressure cooking pot.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Select Simmer and add cornstarch mixture to the pot stirring constantly. Add cubed cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add remaining can of chicken broth, half and half, corn, and heat through but do not bring to a boil. Add crumbled bacon and potatoes.