Chunky bite-size pieces of chicken and broccoli in a creamy cheese sauce served over fluffy white rice.
Recently, Alyssa, The Recipe Critic, shared a link to her popular Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Broccoli recipe on Facebook. When I checked out the recipe I knew it would make a wonderful, quick, inexpensive, easy-to-make pressure cooker meal too.
I used light (neufchatel) cream cheese to save a few calories, but feel free to use the full fat cream cheese if you prefer. I served it with leftover Saffron Rice Pilaf that I had made the day before, but normally I would have served it with Three-Minute Pressure Cooker White Rice.
My family really liked this meal. I liked it too, and I really liked that it was on the table in less than 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 oz. light cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups chopped broccoli, lightly steamed
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts. Add oil and butter to pressure cooking pot, select Browning. When butter is melted, brown the chicken breasts. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pressure cooking pot, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley. Add browned chicken breasts.
- Cover and lock lid in place. Select High Pressure and 5 minutes cook time. When timer beeps, turn off and use a quick pressure release. Remove chicken to a cutting board and cut in to bite pieces.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoons water. Select Simmer and add cornstarch mixture to the pot stirring constantly. Add cubed cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add diced chicken and steamed broccoli. Simmer for 5 minutes until broccoli and chicken are heated through.
- Serve over white rice and garnish with additional shredded cheese if desired.