When I was looking at Cinco de May recipes on Pinterest, I came across Skinny Taste’s Crockpot Picante Chicken and Black Bean Soup. I loved that it was a “skinny” recipe and I knew it would make a great pressure cooker recipe. I also loved that it would give me a good excuse to finally make black beans from scratch.
The soup is thickened with pureed black beans instead of cream. I used the soup setting on my Blendtec and blended until the beans were silky smooth.
The original recipe used two cans of Rotel tomatoes, but that was a bit too spicy for me, so I’ve changed the recipe below to just one can. I also changed up the spices a little bit to accommodate what I had on hand.
Whether you make black beans from scratch or use canned beans, if you like black beans, I’m sure you’ll like this creamy, delicious soup.
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained or 3 cups black beans*
- 2 cans (3 1/2 cups) chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 16 oz (2) skinless chicken breast**
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried cilantro
- cut limes, for serving (optional)
- 1 medium Haas avocado, sliced for serving (optional)
- sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Take one can of beans and place in the blender along with 1 can of chicken broth; puree then add to pressure cooker cooking pot.
- Add the remainder of the chicken broth, tomatoes, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, chicken breasts, and cilantro.
- Lock lid in place, select High Pressure, 8 minutes cook time and press start. (It will take about 20 minutes to come to pressure because there is so much liquid.)
- When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes, then do a quick pressure release.
- Remove chicken breasts from soup and dice or shred. Return chicken to soup, and stir in remaining can of black beans, fresh scallions, add salt and pepper, to taste. If necessary, select Simmer and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until beans are heated.
- Serve topped with limes, avocado, and sour cream, if desired.
*You can also use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, adjust cook time to 11 minutes.