I love cooking rice in my electric pressure cooker. It’s set it and forget it easy. It cooks in half the time and you just throw the rice, water and a little salt in the pot, lock the lid in place, set the cook time and press start. When the timer beeps, you turn off the pressure cooker and wait for the pressure to naturally release.
When you open the lid all the water will be absorbed and you’ll have perfectly cooked, slightly sticky rice. Similar to rice cooked in a rice cooker or from an Asian restaurant.
The Cuisinart recipe booklet recommends cooking brown rice in a large amount of water. But the Veggie Queen in her new ebook The New Fast Food™: The Veggie Queen™ Pressure Cooks Whole Food Meals in Less than 30 Minutes recommends using only 1 1/2 cups of water for a cup of brown rice. I followed Jill’s guidelines with great results.
Jill sent me a copy of her ebook when she was guest posting about How to Cook Beans. I refer to it often when developing recipes for the electric pressure cooker. It’s a great resource and you can download it for only $12.95. She’s also generously offered to giveaway one copy to one lucky Pressure Cooker Today reader. Details on how to enter are at the bottom of this post.
If you’re not cooking rice in a pressure cooker, you need to give it a try. I intend to cook it that way from now on.
- 2 cup brown rice (I used short grain)
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the rice, water and salt in the pressure cooker pot. Lock the lid in place and select High Pressure and 22 minutes cook time. When beep sounds turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release to release pressure (approximately 20 minutes). If you're in a hurry you can use a Natural Pressure for 10 minutes, followed by Quick Pressure Release.
- When valve drops, carefully remove lid tilting it away from you. Fluff rice with a fork.
Update: The giveaway is now closed. Congratulations Tara!
Here’s How To Enter the Sweepstakes Giveaway:
If you would like to win a copy of the Veggie Queen’s new ebook, The New Fast Food™: The Veggie Queen™ Pressure Cooks Whole Food Meals in Less than 30 Minutes, leave a comment on this post before Wednesday, December 5th at noon, MST.
For extra entries:
- Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today by email
- Subscribe to Pressure Cooking Today in a reader
- Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Pinterest
Leave a separate comment for each entry. Be sure your email address is included with your comment(s). Winner will be chosen randomly, notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond.