Chicken Marsala is a classic Italian dish made with chicken, mushrooms, and Marsala wine. This delicious, quick pressure cooker version is sure to become a family favorite.
My friend Megan, from Megan’s Cookin’ introduced me to Chicken Marsala. Her version is easy to make and includes bacon, which gives the dish a great smokey taste in addition to the richness from the wine. Recently, I was given a bottle of Colombo Marsala, and I decided it was time to turn Megan’s recipe in to a pressure cooker recipe.
When I’m making a chicken recipe in the pressure cooker I prefer using chicken thighs. The pressure breaks down the fat and tissue leaving the meat so much more tender and moist than chicken breasts. You could substitute chicken breasts cut in to strips if you prefer.
I served my Chicken Marsala over noodles. It would be delicious served over rice or roasted potatoes as well.
- 4 slices peppered bacon, diced
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, well trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon butter, divided
- Chopped parsley or chives for garnish
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Select Browning and add diced bacon to pressure cooker pot. Brown the bacon until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove bacon to a plate, leaving the bacon fat in the pot.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot and brown on both sides in the bacon fat. Cook the chicken in batches. Remove the chicken to a platter, leaving the fat in the pan.
- Add the marsala to deglaze the pot and let it almost completely evaporate to concentrate the flavor and remove most of the liquid.
- Add the chicken broth and browned chicken to the pot, along with any juices that have collected on the platter. Cover pot and lock lid in place.
- Select High Pressure and 10 minutes cook time. (It will take about 10 minutes to reach high pressure.)
- While the chicken is cooking, heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add oil and 1 tablespoon butter. When butter is melted, add the mushrooms and cook until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- When timer beeps, do a quick pressure release and remove the chicken from the pressure cooker pot to a serving dish.
- Combine the cornstarch and water, whisking until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to the sauce in the pot stirring constantly. Select Simmer and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining two tablespoons butter. Add mushrooms and stir to coat with sauce.
- Taste, adjust seasoning if desired. Combine sauce with chicken in the serving bowl. Serve topped with crumbled bacon and chopped parsley.