Pressure Cooker Chicken Tinga is tender chunks of chicken breast braised in a spicy, smoky tomato sauce. A flavorful, quick, easy way to change up dinner.
The sauce gets the smokey flavor from chipotle chiles in adobo sauce. If you haven’t tired chipotle chiles yet, you can usually find them with other Mexican specialty items at the grocery store. The chiles come in a little can in the adobo sauce.
This recipe only used two chiles, so I put the others in a Ziploc freezer bag so I could use them in another recipe another day.
I served the burritos enchilada style wrapped with black beans and Pressure Cooker Mexican Green Rice. I smothered the burritos with a Tomatillo Cream Sauce which was the perfect complement to the chicken tinga.
I’m sharing my pressure cooker version of the chicken tinga recipe. The Tomatillo Cream Sauce recipe is in Burritos!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/ 2 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomatillo, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 3 large uncooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 (12-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat pressure cooking pot. Add oil and onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatillo, cumin, oregano, and salt and cook, stirring constantly, another 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, water, chipotles, and cayenne pepper sauce. Puree mixture until it’s very smooth. (I used my immersion blender and pureed it in the pressure cooker pot.)
- Stir in chicken. Select high pressure and 4 minutes cook time. When timer beeps, turn pressure cooker off and do a quick pressure release. Select saute and cook, stirring occasionally and gently, until sauce clings to chicken and most of liquid has evaporated.
- Mash beans with a potato masher or fork, until chunky.
- Assemble burritos by spooning chicken mixture onto tortillas. Add beans and sprinkle with cheese. Roll burritos as desired.