An easy to make chicken dish that is loaded with flavor. Chicken breasts braised in a spicy salsa lime sauce topped with mozzarella and broiled until the cheese is browned and hot and gooey.
This is my pressure cooker version of Kalyn’s, Kalyn’s Kitchen, popular slow cooker recipe. The chicken takes only 12 minutes to cook in the pressure cooker, less if you don’t use frozen chicken breasts. I always have a Costco size bag of frozen chicken breasts in the freezer. I usually don’t think about defrosting the chicken breasts before it’s time to start dinner, and when I use the pressure cooker I don’t have to thaw the chicken first.
I made several other changes to the recipe as well. I only had medium salsa on hand, and it would have been too hot for my family in this dish so I used half tomato sauce. Also, I reduced the sauce after cooking the chicken, not before.
When the pressure cooker and food are hot the pressure cooker comes back up to pressure quickly, so don’t be afraid to cook the chicken breasts for less time than you think they’ll need. It’s easy to bring the pressure cooker back to pressure and cook your chicken just a little longer. My large Costco chicken breast took 12 minutes. If you have smaller chicken breasts, you’ll want to reduce the cook time. If you don’t have an instant read thermometer, I recommend buying one. They’re inexpensive and great for checking chicken to make sure it’s cooked thoroughly.
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen*
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 cup grated low-fat Mozzarella
- Add salsa, tomato sauce, chicken, salt, pepper and lime juice to pressure cooking pot. Cover and lock lid in place. Select High Pressure and 12 minutes cook time. When timer beeps, turn off and use a quick pressure release. Check and make sure the chicken is cooked to 165°.
- Preheat the broiler and spray a small glass casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken in the dish. Select sauté and cook sauce, stirring frequently until sauce is desire consistency. Spoon sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle 1 cup grated low-fat Mozzarella on top of the chicken and sauce, put the dish in the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about five minutes, but watch it carefully.
More chicken recipes you might like: