A quick to throw together chicken soup with a Mexican twist. It’s loaded with chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, and salsa. Top it with your favorite Mexican cheese, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips and maybe a jalapeno or two.
Spicy Chicken Soup is my family’s favorite soup. It was one of the first recipes I posted on Barbara Bakes. It’s a slow cooker recipe that cooks on low for 6 – 8 hours. I transformed it into a pressure cooker recipe and now it cooks in only 8 minutes. And maybe best of all, you can use frozen chicken breasts and it cooks in only 11 minutes!
This is the perfect meal for a busy night. It makes about 5 quarts of soup, but if you don’t eat it all in one night, it freezes well. I like to freeze it in individual servings, about 1 1/2 cups, in freezer Ziploc bags for quick lunches.
If you like a little spice in your life, give this one a try.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced*
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed*
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts**
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild chunky salsa
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) bag frozen corn
- Select Sauté and add olive oil to the pressure cooker pot. When oil is hot, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, except beans and corn. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure, 8 minutes cook time and press start. (It will take about 20 minutes to come to pressure because there is so much liquid.)
- When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker, wait 10 minutes, then do a quick pressure release.
- Remove chicken breasts from soup and dice or shred. Return chicken to soup and stir in black beans and corn.
- If necessary, select Simmer and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until beans and corn are heated.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla strips, if desired.
*You can use frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, adjust cook time to 11 minutes.