Mild Italian sausages and sweet mini bell peppers pressure cooked in a flavorful tomato sauce.
Teri, a sweet Pressure Cooker Today reader, loved this recipe so much she shared it with me and said I was welcome to share it with you. She adapted her “famous Sausage and Peppers recipe to the pressure cooker and now it’s ready in 29 minutes start to finish rather than 4 hours of simmering.”
When I went to the market to buy the sausages and peppers, I’d planned on buying green bell peppers, but Winco had this cute little bag of colorful mini sweet peppers, and I couldn’t resist buying that instead. I thought they’d be fun for the pictures.
Teri’s family loved her Pressure Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe and she loved basking in the compliments. I served it with pasta, but Teri serves it as a main dish to keep her carb intake to a minimum.
Teri suggested making the peppers a day ahead, then chilling it and lifting off the fat in a big piece before reheating it the next day. I used a turkey baster to skim off the fat.
We don’t generally eat sausages and peppers at our house, but I have to say I was really surprised how much I liked the sausages. The sauce was really flavorful and I loved how easy the recipe was to make. If you’re a sausage and peppers lover, you’re going to love this recipe. Thanks for sharing it Terri!
- 2 19-ounce packages Johnsonville Italian Sausage (10 sausages)
- 4 large green bell peppers, seeded cored and cut into 1/2 inch strips*
- 1 can (28 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or 4 minced cloves)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- In the pressure cooking pot, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, basil, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Add sausages to the sauce. Place the peppers on top of the sausage, but don't mix.
- Lock lid in place and select High Pressure. Set timer for 25 minutes and press start. When beep sounds turn off pressure cooker and use a quick pressure release to release the pressure. When valve drops carefully remove the lid.
- *I substituted a 32 ounce package of colorful mini sweet peppers and removed the stems.