Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms is a creamy, saucy one-pot dish made with garlic, tomato, and parmesan cheese coating juicy chicken breasts.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This is an easy and flavor-packed Instant Pot chicken recipe to whip up on a weeknight. It has a rich, creamy tomato-based sauce and tender chicken breasts that make a satisfying dinner.
This recipe comes from one of our readers, Carol. She originally found it in the 365 Days of Slow Cooking Cookbook. We adapted it for the pressure cooker and it’s become a favorite weeknight dinner at my house, and it’s easy to see why.
Update: We’ve updated this recipe with new tips and photographs to help you make creamy and silky-smooth Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms
To get started, you’ll want to sear your chicken breasts in the pressure cooking pot. (This adds the golden-brown color on the chicken, and extra flavor to your sauce.)
Once you’ve seared all of the chicken, you’ll finish cooking it on a rack while the rest of the sauce cooks. You’ll need a trivet to hold the chicken above the sauce during pressure cooking.
When the cook time ends, quickly finish the sauce by melting in parmesan and enriching it with a bit of evaporated milk.
What to Serve with Chicken and Mushrooms
You can round out your plate of Instant Pot Chicken and Mushrooms with sides like:
If you don’t have every ingredient on the list, no worries. Here are some simple substitutions to make in the recipe:
- Swap white balsamic vinegar for white wine or apple cider vinegar
- You can use a different kind of mushroom, including shiitake, crimini, or brown
- Cream can replace evaporated milk
- You can use a different hard cheese, like pecorino romano if you prefer
- Substitute parsley with cilantro or basil
While you can use canned mushrooms in this recipe in a pinch, I prefer the flavor of fresh. If you do use canned, drain them and add them after you’ve pressure cooked the chicken.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
We love making fast and easy weeknight chicken recipes in the Instant Pot. Here are some more family favorites to try:
- Instant Pot Honey Sesame Chicken has a sticky-sweet coating and sesame seeds on top for crunch.
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken is a refreshing citrus and herby chicken dish for summer.
- Salsa Chicken with Mozzarella is an easy and flavorful dish with gooey cheese and spicy sauce.
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 16 oz. fresh white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice or pasta, for serving
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Select Sauté to preheat the pressure cooking pot. When hot, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the chicken in batches and brown lightly on both sides. (Add more oil if needed.) Remove browned chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the onions and sauté until translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth, vinegar, tomato paste, and thyme.
- Place a rack in the cooking pot and put the browned chicken on the rack. Add the sliced mushrooms.
- Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 6 minutes cook time. When the cook time ends, finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Remove chicken to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Stir the evaporated milk and Parmesan cheese into the sauce, mixing until combined.
- Combine the cornstarch and water, whisking until smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce, select Sauté and cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken (or return to the cooking pot). Serve over cooked rice or pasta.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 331mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 46g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
At Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.
🥘 Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website (some of my most popular recipes include Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork).
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Or join my Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group to connect with other pressure cooking fans.
✉️ Or you can join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. You’ll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!