Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice is the perfect side dish to pair with your favorite Mexican dinner recipes! Lime and cilantro give this rice a bright, fresh flavor that’s even better than Chipotle’s popular dish.
This amazing Mexican rice recipe is a MUST have on-hand at all times. It is a perfect side dish or base for a salad bowl, and it freezes well.
Once you try it, you might end up like us, with a steady supply of the dish on hand at all times!
Update: I’m updating this post with helpful tips, tricks and serving suggestions. Plus, a how-to video that shows how easy this Pressure Cooker Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice is to make.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice in an Instant Pot
This Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice recipe will work in any brand of electric pressure cooker, including the Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, or Power Pressure Cooker XL. It’s my pressure-cooker adaptation of Skinny Taste‘s popular copycat recipe for Chipotle’s Cilantro Lime Rice.
Get ready for this simple two-step recipe:
- stir white rice, water, salt, and a bit of oil into your pressure cooker pot, set a 3 minute cook time, and walk away!
- Fluff the rice, then add fresh lime juice, a little more oil, and cilantro to complete the dish.
ℹ️ Note: While you could skip the oil for this recipe if you like, it helps reduce the foam that builds up while the rice cooks. Plus, it keeps your rice grains flavorful and moist, rather than sticky.
Why Is the Instant Pot the Best Way to Cook Rice?
There are so many reasons to make rice in a pressure cooker instead of on the stovetop. (See my how to cook rice guide for everything you need to make all kinds of rice in a pressure cooker.)
The first reason to make your rice in an Instant Pot is that white rice has just a 3-minute cook time!
Even better, the pressure cooker makes perfect rice every time. In fact, after I started using my Instant Pot, I got rid of my rice cooker altogether because it was always burning the bottom of the rice.
Can I Freeze Instant Pot Rice?
This is a perfect make-ahead Instant Pot recipe! It freezes beautifully and you’ll always have a homemade side dish on hand to round out your meals.
I often make a double or even a triple batch of the recipe and divide it into individual portions for freezing.
Then I simply let the rice defrost overnight in the fridge or on the counter and reheat before serving.
Can I Use Brown Rice?
You can make Cilantro-Lime Rice with whatever kind of rice you have on hand. Just be sure to follow my cooking times for Instant Pot rice. (For example, brown rice needs a little more liquid and a longer cook time.)
How to Serve Cilantro-Lime Rice
This dish really pairs well with any Mexican entrée. And we have plenty of Instant Pot Mexican recipes to serve it with. Here are some of our favorites:
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Taco Salad is one of our favorite healthy meal prep recipes with creamy dressing you’ll make on repeat.
- Creamy Chipotle Chicken features a zesty cream sauce and crunchy corn.
- Shredded Chicken Tacos are made complete with a side of Cilantro-Lime rice.
- Shredded Beef Enchiladas include moist, shredded beef wrapped in a soft tortilla for a comforting Mexican main dish.
- Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers with Cilantro-Lime Cream Sauce are a light, but satisfying vegetarian option.
- Ground Beef Tacos can cook from fresh or frozen ground beef to make Taco Tuesday easy.
- Instant Pot Asopado made with chili peppers, chicken thighs and fresh cilantro is just missing Mexican rice for balance.
- Carne Asada from Paint the Kitchen Red makes a tender beef filling for tacos or rice topping.
- Green Chile Pork Carnitas are tender, moist and so flavorful. Wrap them in tortillas or simply serve them over rice.
- Café Rio Sweet Pork Tostadas are a crunchy and kid-approved weeknight dinner.
- Not a pressure cooker recipe, but I had to mention my Crispy Chicken Tacos from Barbara Bakes. (You hang them over the oven rack to crisp them up.)
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- Add the rice, water, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt to the pressure cooker pot. Stir. Lock lid in place. Select high pressure and 3 minutes cook time.
- When the cook time ends, turn the pressure cooker off and use a natural pressure release for 7 minutes, followed by a quick pressure release. Carefully remove the lid.
- Fluff the rice with a fork.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon oil. Add the rice and toss until thoroughly mixed
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
FOR MORE FROM PRESSURE COOKING TODAY
🥘 Browse our collection of the best pressure cooker / Instant Pot recipes.
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
👥 Join our Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group. Our positive community of pressure cooking fans use all brands of electric pressure cookers, so it’s a great resource if you have questions about your particular brand.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just Instant Pot recipes, follow us at Barbara Bakes. There we post amazing breakfasts, breads, and the best dessert recipes!