Make this classic hummus Instant Pot recipe with cooked chickpeas, lemon, olive oil, and a garnish of paprika for an easy appetizer, snack or sandwich spread.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: Homemade hummus is creamy, fluffy and silky-smooth with bright flavor from lemon juice. It’s an easy make-ahead appetizer or dip to keep on hand for kid-approved snacks and lunches.
We love Mediterranean food around here, and hummus is such a staple dish in Greek and Middle Eastern cuisine. We buy it all the time, and had heard how easy it was to make.
So we had to make our own version using creamy and soft Instant Pot chickpeas—and it’s the easiest!
How to Make Instant Pot Hummus
The key to the best-tasting homemade hummus is to start with dried chickpeas. Cooking chickpeas right in the Instant Pot is the easiest and fastest way to achieve beans with the softest, creamiest texture and freshest flavor.
You can soak the beans the night before to remove some of the excess starch for an even cleaner flavor. But if you forget, no worries. You can just as easily make pressure cooker chickpeas without soaking.
To make the hummus itself, use a food processor high-speed blender to achieve the fluffiest texture.
Flavoring Ideas for Hummus
This classic hummus recipe is flavored with traditional ingredients:
- Fresh lemon juice for brightness
- Tahini for deep, rich nutty flavor
- Garlic for fresh allium complexity
- Parsley for herby freshness
- Olive oil for creaminess and body
If you like, however, you can mix up the seasonings with dozens of different flavor combinations. Try blending in:
- Roasted red peppers
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Dried seasonings like Italian blend, cayenne, or chili powder
- Fresh herbs like basil, oregano or tarragon
The options for flavoring your hummus are pretty endless, which means you can always have a fresh-tasting dip on hand.
If you’re not a fan of sesame paste or can’t eat sesame, we also have a delicious tahini-free lemon garlic hummus recipe on Barbara Bakes. Click over to learn the secret ingredient we use to get a light and fluffy texture!
How to Serve Hummus
If you have a container of hummus in your fridge, you have instant access to a healthy and convenient snack or appetizer. Here are some of our favorite ways to serve homemade hummus:
- As a dip with carrots and other fresh veggies
- As a spread with crackers or homemade pita
- In sandwiches or Greek tacos
- On Mediterranean-inspired grain bowls
- Mixed into salad dressing
More Instant Pot Appetizer Recipes
Here are more of our go-to appetizer recipes for the Instant Pot / pressure cooker:
- Deviled Eggs with Bacon and BBQ Sauce are a smoky, spicy two-bite passable appetizer perfect for BBQs.
- Instant Pot Spinach Artichoke Dip is creamy, tangy and dippable with your favorite crackers or crudite.
- Pressure Cooker Cranberry Baked Brie is gooey, melty and a must-have for holiday gatherings.
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 1/2 cups pressure-cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (optional, plus more for serving)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- Pepper to taste
- Paprika for garnish, optional
Place the cooked chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, olive oil, and pepper to taste, in a food processor and blend until smooth. Depending on your food processor this may take up to 5 minutes.
Place in a serving bowl and cover for 4-6 hours until flavors are fully blended. You can serve right away and it is good but this hummus gets better with some chilling set time.
Serve with a sprinkle of pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle or paprika.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
At Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.
🥘 Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website (some of my most popular recipes include Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork).
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Or join my Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group to connect with other pressure cooking fans.
✉️ Or you can join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. You’ll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!