These Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Egg Bites are like crustless mini quiches. You’ll get the flavor of the famous Starbucks sous vide egg bites, but at a fraction of the cost when you make them at home. These ham and cheese egg bites are great to make ahead for a quick breakfast on the go!
I’ve been cooking egg bites in the pressure cooker for years and years—before they even became popularly known as egg bites (thanks to the Starbucks sous vide egg bites). These cheesey-eggy bites are still a favorite grab-and-go breakfast at our house, so I wanted to update the recipe with more recent pictures and new directions for making these Instant Pot / pressure cooker egg bites using the silicone trays.
(Don’t have the silicone trays? No worries! I’ve kept the old instructions at the bottom of this post.)
Making Pressure Cooker Egg Bites in an Instant Pot
The secret to making small, perfect little egg bites is a silicone baby food tray.
These flexible containers are perfect for making egg bites, mini muffins, and cheesecake bites in your pressure cooker. These containers come in many sizes—the 8-inch tray with seven cups fits just right in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker.
The flexible silicone makes it easy to remove the cooked foods from the cups with a gentle push on the bottom of the cup.
Making Pressure Cooker Egg Bites without a Silicone Mold
I had some croissants in the freezer so I made an Egg Muffin Croissant. If you had English muffins you could make an Egg Muffin Muffin Sandwich. The egg muffins reheat really well. I had one for breakfast the next day with a slice of toast and it kept me satisfied until a late lunch.
You can change up your “muffin” to suit your tastes. If you prefer to make bigger muffins filled with more veggies, try making them in glass custard cups. I plan to try that soon.
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced ham or precooked bacon (or both!)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, optional
- Generously spray two silicone baby food trays with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until just blended. Evenly divide the meat among silicone cups. Pour the egg mixture over the ham until each cup is about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over each egg bite.
- Pour 1 cup water into the pressure cooking pot and place a trivet in the bottom. Use a sling to lower the silicone trays, carefully stacking one on top of the other. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 11 minutes cook time for firmer egg bites. (Take a minute or two off the cook time if you prefer softer eggs.)
- When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid and use the sling to remove the trays. Place on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then turn the tray over and gently squeeze to remove the egg bites from the silicone trays.
- Serve egg bites whole or sliced on top of mini croissants or toast.
Best Homemade Baby Food Storage Container Freezer Trays - Reusable Food Container Silicon Tray With Clip On Lid - 2 Pack Bundle With 2 Bonus Spoons - BPA Free FDA Approved 2.6 Ounce - Green & Orange
OXO Pressure Cooker Bakeware Sling
Instant Pot DUO Plus 60, 6 Qt 9-in-1
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Making Pressure Cooker Egg Muffins in the Instant Pot
Egg muffins “bake” up light and fluffy in the pressure cooker. If you’re trying to cut carbs or count calories, then these bacon, egg, and cheese “muffins” are a perfect way to start the day. With only about 130 calories per muffin, these bites are a quick, eat-on-the-run meal that you can feel good about.
I love cooking hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker, so I was excited to adapt the popular Egg Muffin recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen for the pressure cooker. Kalyn bakes her egg muffins in the oven, but I prefer not to use the oven when I’m cooking for just my husband and me.