This Instant Pot Sliced Beef and Cheddar Sandwich recipe is the upgraded version of your favorite Arby’s order, with thin-sliced pressure cooker beef and melty cheese sauce on an onion roll.
This sandwich is like a delicious cross between a Philly cheesesteak and a French dip. It has tender sliced beef and a creamy homemade cheddar sauce. Serve it on your favorite buns for a classic American sandwich made at home.
Making Sliced Beef and Cheddar Sandwiches in an Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker
The sliced beef is a quick dump-and-go pressure cooker recipe. Simply add thinly sliced beef, broth, and seasonings into the pot, bring to pressure for 10 minutes, and you’re done!
While the Instant Pot is working it’s magic, you can whip up the cheddar cheese sauce on the stove. This is a matter of melting butter, thickening it with a bit of flour and stirring in milk, just a bit of hot sauce for flavor—and cheddar cheese, of course!
(If you like, you can also make the sauce in your Instant Pot, on saute adjusted to low.)
To serve up sliced beef and cheddar sandwiches, I love using onion rolls. If you can’t find them, brioche buns are also the perfect pillowy and soft vehicle for the meat and cheese.
How Should I Slice the Beef?
I like to have the butcher slice the beef for me for this recipe. That way, I know it will be perfectly thin and even. I ask for slices 1/8-inch thick. Thinner beef curls on the edges a bit while it cooks to give you that classic cheesesteak sandwich look.
However, if you have a whole piece of boneless beef, you can always slice it yourself. A sharp knife is your friend for slicing thin, even pieces of beef.
💡 Tip: To make slicing it yourself a little easier, place the beef in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. When you take it out to slice, the beef will hold its shape better and slice without falling apart.
What Cut of Beef Is Best?
I use top round roast for this recipe. However, top sirloin steak will also work.
🛑 Fattier cuts of beef, like chuck roast, won’t produce the tender strips of steak you’re looking for in your sandwich.
Can I Freeze Sliced Instant Pot Beef?
The cooked meat in this recipe reheats and freezes quite well. (I often freeze it with the juices left in the pot so the meat doesn’t dry out.) It will last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
To defrost, thaw the container in the fridge overnight and reheat in the Instant Pot or microwave.
The cheese sauce can last a few days in the fridge in an airtight container.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Cheese Steak Sandwiches
These sandwiches go well with all sorts of different side dishes. Here are some recipes that I love to serve with Sliced Beef and Cheddar Sandwiches for my family:
- Quick Instant Pot Potato Salad makes these sandwiches ideal for a summer barbecue outdoors.
- Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Corn on the Cob is everyone’s favorite Instant Pot vegetable dish that takes just 2 minutes!
- Broccoli Slaw Salad from Barbara Bakes is green and crunchy to balance out the meaty and cheesy deliciousness of your sandwiches.
- Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Shallots and Almonds from Kalyn’s Kitchen have just the right amount of crunch and punchy garlic flavor to pair with nearly any entrée.
More from the Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook
This recipe is adapted from the Steak and Cheddar sandwiches on page 76 of the Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook. (The longer strips of beef stay in the sandwiches better for my young kids.)
If you don’t have a copy of the cookbook yet, it’s full of helpful tips and amazing family recipes you won’t find on the blog like Chicken Pesto Pasta (page 165), Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps (page 46), and Chile Verde (page 243).
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE…
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 2 pounds boneless beef top round roast, thinly sliced*
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 onion hamburger buns, buttered and toasted
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce**
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In the pressure cooking pot, combine the beef, broth, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 10 minutes cook time.
- When cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker and allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then finish with a quick release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- While the beef cooks, in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle in the flour and cook until bubbling. Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time, until the sauce is smooth and thick. Whisk in hot sauce and salt. Add the cheddar cheese a handful at a time. Stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- To serve, top each bun with meat and ladle cheese sauce on top.
*I like to have the butcher slice it 1/8-inch thick for me. See above for tips on how to slice yours at home.
** You can use more hot sauce if you like it spicy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 543Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 163mgSodium: 734mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 52g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
At Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.
🥘 Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website (some of my most popular recipes include Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork).
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Or join my Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group to connect with other pressure cooking fans.
✉️ Or you can join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. You’ll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!