These Chicken Drumsticks cook up perfectly tender in the Instant Pot, then finished on the BBQ or in the oven with a sweet and spicy, simple Honey Sriracha Glaze! With just five ingredients, you can’t go wrong!
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: These chicken drumsticks are a total crowd-pleaser, but they only require five simple ingredients (plus salt and pepper). You can easily adjust the spice level to suit your palate, and whip these up for a party or a weeknight dinner. And did I mention they’re make-ahead friendly?
We love making chicken in the Instant Pot, and this is our latest go-to recipe. The legs cook up evenly and get fully covered in the sweet and spicy glaze.
This is one of the best Instant Pot chicken recipes for a crowd. They’re easy to make for entertaining. Serve them alongside 3-Ingredient Instant Pot Cornbread and Quick Instant Pot Potato Salad for an indoor BBQ any time of year!
We first got the recipe for the honey-sriracha glaze from my husband’s boss. His version was a bit too spicy for me, so I’ve adjusted the recipe to be a little more mild, with just the right kick to balance the sweetness of honey.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
Grab these five ingredients to make Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks:
- Garlic powder. This adds a nice savory note to season the chicken.
- Chicken drumsticks. We love making legs in the Instant Pot because they stay moist and cook super fast.
- Honey. If you like, you can use a flavored honey, such as lavender.
- Sriracha. Feel free to use as much (or as little) sriracha as you like!
- Roasted garlic. You can make roasted garlic at home or find it in a jar at the store.
How to Make Honey-Sriracha Chicken Drumsticks in an Instant Pot
Start by making the seasoning blend for the chicken, then toss the chicken legs with the simple seasoning.
Next, prepare the pressure cooker by placing a rack or trivet in the pot, along with 1 cup of water. Arrange the chicken legs on the rack. Stack the legs crosswise so they stay in place and steam can move around them on all sides.
Cook the chicken at High Pressure for 4 minutes. While the chicken cooks, make the honey-sriracha glaze. In a small pot, bring the honey, sriracha, and roasted, minced garlic to a simmer. Cook the sauce at a simmer for 3 minutes, then let it cool.
To finish the drumsticks, preheat the grill to medium. When the chicken is done in the pressure cooker, coat them with the honey-sriracha glaze. Then cook them on the grill for about 2 minutes per side, until the glaze is sticky and shiny. Brush on more glaze as you go. Serve and enjoy!
Important Tips for Making Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- It’s very important to add the water to the pressure cooking pot. This creates steam to cook the chicken. Without it, you may get a burn notice.
- When grilling the chicken, rotate them as necessary to create nice char lines but avoid burning.
- Letting the glaze cool for a few minutes before you brush it on the chicken will help it thicken up a bit.
In addition to your Instant Pot, you will need a trivet or rack to cook these chicken legs. Many Instant Pots come with a trivet. We also love this one.
Frequently Asked Questions about Instant Pot Honey BBQ Chicken
Yes, this is a great way to get ahead of things if you’re having a party. You can cook the chicken in the pressure cooker the day before, then store in an airtight container. When you’re ready to heat, fire up the grill, make the sauce, and finish the chicken on the grill.
Yes, to make an indoors BBQ, you can finish the legs under the broiler. Just coat them with the sauce and keep a close eye on them to prevent burning. Rotate the chicken legs several times as they cook.
Yes, if you’d like to make this recipe with chicken thighs, use boneless and skinless thighs. Pressure cook on high for 9 minutes, then finish the recipe as instructed.
If you’d like to substitute the honey in the glaze, you can use agave, which is another liquid sweetener.
MORE Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Try these other simple weeknight chicken recipes in your Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker next:
- Instant Pot Make-Ahead BBQ Chicken Legs have a classic barbecue sauce, that you can buy from the store or make from scratch!
- Instant Pot Honey Sesame Chicken is a riff on Chinese take-out with a sweet-savory sauce.
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken has a light and refreshing citrus-herb sauce.
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 chicken legs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha, plus more if desired
- 2 cloves roasted garlic, minced (I used jarred from the store)
Pressure Cook the Legs:
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken legs and toss to coat with tongs.
- Place a rack in the pressure cooking pot. Add 1 cup water and place the seasoned chicken legs on the rack, stacking them crosswise on top of each other.
- Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 4 minutes cook time. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes then finish with a quick pressure release.
- If you're finishing the drumsticks right away, begin preparing the glaze when the cook time ends.
- If you'll finish the drumsticks later, cool the chicken to room temperature and then refrigerate covered until ready to continue.
- When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
Prepare the Glaze and Grill:
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, sriracha, and roasted garlic. Bring the ingredients to a simmer and allow to simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Place the chicken legs on a rimmed baking sheet and coat with the honey-sriracha glaze.
- Place the chicken legs on the grill and cook until the sauce is caramelized and sticky, about 2 minutes. Baste with more sauce as desired. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes, until the glaze is caramelized. Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
- Alternatively, finish in a very hot oven or under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning and turning the legs as necessary.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 522Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 328mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 0gSugar: 12gProtein: 62g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
FOR MORE FROM PRESSURE COOKING TODAY
🥘 Browse our collection of the best pressure cooker / Instant Pot recipes.
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
👥 Join our Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group. Our positive community of pressure cooking fans use all brands of electric pressure cookers, so it’s a great resource if you have questions about your particular brand.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just Instant Pot recipes, follow us at Barbara Bakes. There we post amazing breakfasts, breads, and the best dessert recipes!