The Whisper Quiet Instant Pot Duo Plus is the fifth version of this popular model, updated with a gray, redesigned steam release lid, a message display, and a selector dial. Read our full review to find out if it’s right for you!
The Whisper Quiet Instant Pot Duo Plus is the latest in a long line of Duo Plusses. This is a mid-range Instant Pot model that has some higher-end features.
We’ve been cooking in it for a couple weeks, and we’ll tell you everything you need to know before you buy as well as how to get started cooking in it!
Click the links below to jump to the sections you’re interested in:
- What is the Instant Pot Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid?
- Quick Pros and Cons
- Detailed Feature Breakdown
- How to cook with the Whisper Quiet Duo Plus
- User Manual information
- Specs for the Instant Pot Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid
- What comes with the Instant Pot Whisper Quiet Duo Plus?
- Why did I get the Burn Notice on the Whisper Quiet Duo Plus?
- Warranty Information
If you prefer learning by watching videos, check out our How to use the Whisper Quiet Instant Pot Duo Plus video on YouTube.
Bottom Line: I think the Instant Pot Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid is major improvement on previous models. If you’re looking for an upgrade from a regular Duo or previous Duo Plus model, this would be a great option.
I go into more depth about how it stacks up in our 2022 Buying Guide.
WHAT IS THE DUO PLUS WITH WHISPER QUIET LID?
The Instant Pot Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid is the latest version of the Duo Plus made by Instant Pot. It comes in a 6-quart and 8-quart size.
This is the only Instant Pot version to have an all-plastic gray lid and base. This lid also has a special cover that fits onto the steam release valve.
QUICK PROS AND CONS
The Instant Pot Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid incorporates some of my favorite features from other Instant Pot models, along with some brand-new features that I hope stick around.
Here are my main pros and cons, listed briefly, then I’ll expand on these features in the sections below:
- The redesigned lid is really well-thought-out. It vents the steam well away from items above the pressure cooker.
- Easy-to-read button layout with pressure cooking buttons for the major cooking functions, as well as the knob/button combination for making selections.
- The dot matrix display makes it much easier to know what’s going on inside your pot.
- It is quieter than other Instant Pot models, but “whisper quiet” is a stretch. The quick pressure release still makes a decent amount of noise.
- The float valve is hidden under a little plug on the outside of the lid.
Detailed Feature Breakdown
While some changes are mainly cosmetic, the Duo Plus also offers a number of new and favorite features.
The display and selector combination is my favorite upgrade to this Duo Plus model. It combines my favorite features in the Instant Pot Pro‘s display with my favorite features in the display for the Instant Pot Duo Crisp with Ultimate Lid model.
Like the Pro, you press a button to select the main cooking function, then you use the dial to choose between Custom and pre-set cooking programs. Like the Ultimate Lid, underneath the traditional time and temperature LCD, they have added a dot matrix display that talks to you with words. For example, it will tell you to remove the lid or lock the valve.
(For how to use the buttons, continue reading in our How to Cook section, below.)
Redesigned Steam Release
Unlike other Duo Plus models, which have the steam release valve accessible on top, this Whisper Quiet lid has the steam release valve tucked away under a lid cover that’s entirely lined in a non-removable silicone gasket.
When the steam is released, it is forced through the little snake-like grooves and then comes out of two vents on the exterior.
I believe this is the first Instant Pot model without any metal on the lid’s exterior. Most models have a metal section that can get hot while pressure cooking. It usually isn’t a problem, but occasionally I’m clumsy and graze the metal part. That’s not a problem you’ll have to worry about with this model.
Unlike most other Instant Pot models, the Duo Plus features a fingerprint resistant stainless steel and a gray hard plastic base and lid fins.
It’s easy to tell apart from other pressure cookers at a glance. (Which may be handy if you bring your Instant Pot to a potluck with other models.)
HOW TO COOK WITH THE DUO PLUS
Almost every recipe on our site uses just the Pressure Cook or the Saute buttons. Here’s how to get cooking in your new Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid.
How to Pressure Cook
- Make sure that the silicone gasket is fully secured on the lid. Find the little line on the center front of the lid, and align it with the little line on the gray part just above and to the right of the display. Use the lid handle to turn the lid to the left to lock it.
- Touch the Pressure Cook button, then press the silver dial to select "Custom" and then turn the dial to set the cook time to the time specified in the recipe.
- Press the Start button, and watch the magic happen! (Note that if you go more than a few seconds before pressing Start, your unit will revert to reading "Ready" and you'll need to repeat all of the steps.)
- After your cook time ends, your recipe will specify a type of pressure release. If you're not using a quick release, allow the unit to count up for the number of minutes specified in the recipe. Use the switch on top of the lid to switch down to the icon with the little puff of steam releasing from the pressure cooker.
- After all of the pressure is released, the unit will display a message when the float valve has dropped and you can unlock the lid by turning it to the right to match the little gray part. When you remove the lid, make sure to open it away from your face.
How to Sauté
- The Sauté function doesn't work if the lid is on, so make sure to keep it off.
- Touch the Sauté button, then press the silver dial to select "Custom." Press the silver dial again to select the default cook time. (I rarely adjust the time and just press cancel when I'm done sautéing.) If you wish to change the cooking temperature, turn the dial. For searing meat, I'd select higher level. For sautéing vegetables, I'd select the middle level.
- Press the Start button, and the unit will begin to heat the bottom of the pressure cooking pot. (Again, remember that if you forget to press Start, your unit will revert to "Ready" and you'll need to repeat the steps.)
- In most cases, when you sauté, wait until the pot heats to your desired temperature before adding the oil or other ingredients. The pot will read Hot when it's ready. (My exception is when sautéing with butter, I will generally let the pot preheat a bit and then add the butter so it's fully melted by the time the pot comes to temperature.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
⚠️ No matter what you’re making, remember to always use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness, and add more time if necessary.
THE WHISPER QUIET DUO PLUS USER MANUAL
Like other Instant Pot models released in the last few years, the user manual for the Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid is incredibly thorough.
The instructions walk you through the basic steps for all of the cooking functions as well as set up and cleaning.
See the following pages in the Instant Pot Duo Plus user manual for detailed instructions:
- Pressure Cook: page 23
- Steam: page 30
- Sauté: page 31
- Slow Cook: page 26
- Sous Vide: page 35
- Yogurt: page 33
- Keep Warm: page 39
Some tips and trips from the user manual:
To Turn the Sound On and Off: Plug in the Duo Plus, then press and hold Delay Start and Keep Warm for
5 seconds. The message display shows Sound Off or On. (Note that safety alerts—for things like the burn notice—cannot be turned off.)
To Change the to Fahrenheit or Celsius: Plug in the Duo Plus, then press and hold the center dial for 5 seconds. The message display will show Temp Unit F or Temp Unit C, depending on the change.
WHAT ARE THE MEASUREMENTS FOR THE WHISPER QUIET DUO PLUS?
The 6-quart Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid is 1000 watts, 12.3 pounds, and 13.4″ L × 13.4″ W × 12.8″ H.
The manual for the Duo Plus specifies that the minimum cooking liquids is 1 1/2 cups of liquid unless otherwise specified in the recipe. However, in our testing so far, we have not had any issues making recipes with only 1 cup or less of liquids.
The 8-quart Duo Plus with Whisper Quiet Lid is 1200 watts, 15.9 pounds, and 14.6″ L × 14.6″ W × 14″ H.
The manual for the Duo Plus specifies that the minimum cooking liquids is 2 cups of liquid unless otherwise specified in the recipe.
WHAT COMES WITH THE WHISPER QUIET DUO PLUS?
The Instant Pot Duo Plus comes with two sealing rings (one installed on the lid, the other in the pot) and a steam rack with handles.
Unlike past versions of the Duo Plus, the Whisper Quiet model does not include a ladle, spoon, or mini-mitts.
WHY DID I GET A BURN NOTICE ON THE INSTANT POT DUO PLUS?
When the Instant Pot Duo Plus reads FOOD BURN, the first things to check are:
- Does the inner pot have enough liquid?
- Are any food deposits stuck to the bottom of the inner pot?
If you’ve gotten the burn notice, remove the inner cooking pot from the base. Check for debris inside the pressure cooker housing or on the outside of the stainless steel cooking pot. (Keep in mind that the cooker will be hot, so you may need to let it cool to thoroughly check.)
Then check the cooking pot.
If just a little food has burned onto the bottom of the cooking pot, scoop the food into a separate bowl and scrape the burned parts away. Return the food to the cooking pot. At this point, you can add more liquid to the pressure cooking pot and try another pressure cooking cycle. Or you can transfer the pot to the stove or oven and stir while you finish cooking.
If a lot of food has burned on, you’ll be able to taste the burnt taste throughout and, unfortunately, you may have to discard the meal. Soak and scrub off the burned foods. Barkeepers friend is a useful cleaner to help remove stubborn stains.
In the future, be sure to add more liquid to the pot and avoid ingredients containing thickeners like canned soups or prepackaged spaghetti sauces.
⚠️ For more details, check out our in-depth discussion on the Instant Pot Burn Notice: What to Do and How to Avoid It in the Future.
The Instant Pot Duo Plus has a 1-year limited warranty. In the past, I’ve had great experiences with their customer service department, who responded quickly to help me get the solution I needed.
Customer Service is available at email@example.com or 1-800-828-7280.
Don’t forget to register within 30 days of purchase to be eligible!
Still have questions?
Leave us a comment and we’ll get you the info you need!
FOR MORE FROM PRESSURE COOKING TODAY
🥘 Browse our collection of the best pressure cooker / Instant Pot recipes.
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
👥 Join our Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group. Our positive community of pressure cooking fans use all brands of electric pressure cookers, so it’s a great resource if you have questions about your particular brand.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just Instant Pot recipes, follow us at Barbara Bakes. There we post amazing breakfasts, breads, and the best dessert recipes!