Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs make a fast and delicious appetizer or light dinner for a crowd, flavored with spices and your favorite barbecue sauce.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: With only seven simple ingredients, you can make a satisfying family-friendly dinner. Best of all, you can pressure cook it in advance and warm and finish it on the grill at dinnertime.
Nothing says summer like sticky, sweet and just-spicy-enough BBQ chicken. However, no one likes to be stuck at the grill during a get-together—especially in the heat of the summer!
That’s why we decided to make sticky and spicy BBQ chicken legs in the Instant Pot! Cook them early inside, then take them out to the open flames to warm and finish them when you’re ready to eat. (And, of course, we have oven instructions for those of you who don’t have a grill.)
If you love Instant Pot chicken recipes, you’re going to want to make this quick chicken leg dish all the time. No matter when you make it, it will always remind you of summer!
How to Make Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs
This simple recipe calls for just seven simple ingredients. Garlic powder, chili powder, and red pepper flakes add a bit of heat to the legs before cooking. To finish off the dish, coat the cooked chicken in your favorite barbecue sauce to coat the chicken legs.
To get the sticky, caramelized coating on your chicken legs after pressure cooking, finish the legs on a grill. You can also do this in the oven under the broiler. If you use a broiler, be sure to keep a close eye on the chicken and turn the legs frequently to prevent burning.
Using Other Cuts of Chicken
You can use this recipe to cook other pieces of chicken, such as thighs or breasts.
For BBQ chicken thighs in the Instant Pot, cook for 9 minutes at high pressure and finish with a quick pressure release.
For chicken breasts, cook at high pressure for 6 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release.
What to Serve with Chicken Legs
You can round out your smoky barbecued chicken legs with other summery side dishes like:
- Quick Instant Pot Potato Salad is a fast, creamy and crowd-pleasing BBQ side dish.
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob is easier and better tasting than corn cooked on the stove!
- Instant Pot Corn Chowder is a delicious, summery soup that makes a great first course for outdoor entertaining.
- Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes from Barbara Bakes are topped with smoky, crunchy bacon.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Here are more of our favorite weeknight chicken dishes to make in a pressure cooker:
- Instant Pot Lemon Tarragon Chicken is a refreshing and light chicken breast recipe with fresh herby flavor.
- Salsa Lime Chicken is a savory and cheesy chicken breast recipe that gets plenty of flavor from jarred salsa.
- Instant Pot Honey-Sesame Chicken is a sticky and sweet stir-fry recipe made in the pressure cooker.
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 chicken legs
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken legs and toss to coat with tongs.
- Place a rack in the pressure cooking pot. Add 1 cup water and place the seasoned chicken legs on the rack, stacking them crosswise on top of each other.
- Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 4 minutes cook time. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- If you intend to make them later in the day, Remove the chicken legs to a storage container and allow to cool. Refrigerate until needed.
- When you're ready to cook, place the chicken legs in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and coat generously with the barbecue sauce.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side until the sauce is caramelized and sticky. Baste with more sauce as desired. (Alternatively, finish in a very hot oven or under the broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning and turning the legs as necessary.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 328mgSodium: 684mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 62g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
FOR MORE FROM PRESSURE COOKING TODAY
🥘 Browse our collection of the best pressure cooker / Instant Pot recipes.
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
👥 Join our Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group. Our positive community of pressure cooking fans use all brands of electric pressure cookers, so it’s a great resource if you have questions about your particular brand.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just Instant Pot recipes, follow us at Barbara Bakes. There we post amazing breakfasts, breads, and the best dessert recipes!