Easy-to-make pressure cooker Amish Macaroni Salad is a classic, old-fashioned side dish for summer. Perfect with whatever you’re grilling or that picnic in the park.
Mike, a Pressure Cooking Today email subscriber, recently sent me an email. He received the email about my quick pressure cooker potato salad recipe and said, “Now we need an IP Amish macaroni salad recipe to bring these two summer favorites full circle!”
I had never had Amish macaroni salad. So Mike described it for me.
The Amish version is a combination of the creamy mayonnaise, with both a sweet/sour base provided by the sugar and vinegar. Add in the celery, finely chopped onions and carrots, and the hard boil egg and you got a delicious and refreshing summertime picnic treat!
He found a recipe online that was close to the one he remembers his great aunt making. He sent me the link and it was easily converted to a pressure cooker recipe.
Making Amish Macaroni Salad in an Instant Pot
An Instant Pot is one of the most popular brands of electric pressure cookers. They are easy to use and your Instant Pot can help you create this delicious Amish Macaroni Salad! Of course, you don’t need an Instant Pot to make this recipe, the recipe directions will work with any brand of electric pressure cooker.
One of the biggest changes I made to the recipe was cooking both the macaroni and eggs at the same time. I used small shell macaroni instead of elbow macaroni so the cook time is closer to the cook time of hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker.
The original recipe didn’t call for carrots, so I didn’t add them to my recipe, but feel free to add them along with the celery and onion in the recipe. I used red onion to add a pop of color and because it’s a little bit milder, but yellow onion or green onions would work as well.
I served this Amish Macaroni Salad with Pressure Cooker BBQ Back Back ribs for the 4th of July. It was a hit with me and my family. I’m sure it will make a frequent appearance at my house from now on. It’s so flavorful and easy to make.
Thanks so much for sharing it with me Mike. Definitely give this one a try!
Update: I’ve made this Pressure Cooker Amish Macaroni Salad many times for parties and it’s always a hit. So I’ve updated the post with a video showing just how easy it is to make.
Pressure Cooker Amish Macaroni Salad
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked small shell macaroni
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the macaroni, eggs, water, and salt to the pressure cooking pot. Lock lid in place, select High Pressure, 5 minutes cook time and press start.
- When timer beeps, turn off pressure cooker and do a natural release for 5 minutes, then release any remaining pressure with a quick pressure release. When the pressure is released, carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place them in ice cold water. Drain macaroni in a colander. When eggs are cool peel and dice.
- In a large bowl, mix together, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and sugar. Stir in macaroni, celery, onion, and diced eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill several hours or overnight before serving.
Other pressure cooker side dishes you might like:
Pressure Cooker Baked Beans, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Rice Pilaf, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Israeli Couscous, Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot Stick of Butter Rice, Copycat Recipes
Instant Pot Refried Beans with Onion, Garlic, and Chiles, Kalyn’s Kitchen