Start your day with this Pressure Cooker Brown Sugar Raisin Breakfast Farro and it will keep you satisfied all morning long.
Have you tried farro yet? Farro is an ancient wheat grain. It has a nutty flavor, is a little bit chewy, and can be used as a substitute for pasta or rice. Popsugar did a great article, The Next Super Grain You Should Be Eating, explaining it’s benefits.
My body seems to crave carbs in the morning, so I was looking for a way to change up my cereal habit with something besides oats. Farro is a great choice because it’s loaded with fiber, protein and calcium.
I used Trader Joe’s 10 minute pre-cooked Farro. It’s great because it’s quick and easy, and making it in the electric pressure cooker, you just set the time and can go get ready for the day while it cooks.
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, you can also use whole farro. Jill Nussinow in Vegan Under Pressure recommends soaking whole farro overnight and then pressure cooking 1 cup farro in 2 cups water for 20 minutes with a natural pressure release.
I froze half of the farro in individual servings so I didn’t have to eat it every day during the week. It reheated really well. Next time I’ll buy two packages and make them both at the same time.
I hope you’ll give farro a try and let me know what you think.
Pressure Cooker Brown Sugar Raisin Breakfast Farro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8.8 oz.) package Trader Joe’s pre–cooked Farro
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Select Browning/Sauté and melt butter in the pressure cooking pot. Stir in farro and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add water, raisins, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Select High Pressure and 5 minutes cook time. When timer sounds, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, use a quick pressure release. When valve drops, carefully remove lid. Stir mixture.
- Serve topped with additional brown sugar and a splash of milk.
More pressure cooker breakfast recipes you might like:
Pressure Cooking Breakfast Quinoa, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Almond Joy Steel Cut Oats, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Crustless Tomato Spinach Quiche, Pressure Cooking Today
Mason Jar Steel Cut Oats, Tidbits
Banana French Toast, Living Locurto