A quick, easy-to-make, delicious Pressure Cooker Cherry Compote made with frozen cherries so you can enjoy it any time of year.
Recently, I decided to create a new cheesecake recipe with a cherry topping. Since I’m in love with my Pressure Cooker Blueberry Compote and my Pressure Cooker Triple Berry Compote, I decided to use my pressure cooker to make the cherry topping – and it couldn’t have been easier.
Making Cherry Compote in an Instant Pot
An Instant Pot is one of the most popular brands of electric pressure cookers. They are easy to use and your Instant Pot can help you create this Cherry Compote!
I bought a package of frozen dark cherries at the supermarket. I didn’t bother to thaw the cherries before I used them. I just put a few ingredients in the pressure cooker and minutes later had a fabulous cherry sauce.
By dividing the cherries in half and pressure cooking just half of the cherries for a few minutes, the cherries breakdown and release their juices, so the sauce is flavorful and turns a pretty deep red color. Then I stir in the remaining cherries, so the sauce has pretty whole cherries as well.
The finishing touch is a little bit of almond extract which gives the sauce that little extra oh wow factor.
Speaking of oh wow, be sure and stop by next week. Next Sunday, I’ll share the pressure cooker cheesecake recipe I used this luscious sauce on!
Pressure Cooker Cherry Compote
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen dark cherries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Add 8 ounces of cherries, sugar, and lemon juice to pressure cooking pot; stir to combine. Lock the lid in place and select High Pressure and 3 minutes cook time. When beep sounds turn off pressure cooker and use a natural pressure release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, release any remaining pressure with a quick pressure release.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Add to compote in pressure cooking pot. Bring to a boil using the saute function, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Stir in remaining cherries and almond extract.
- Put in a storage container and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to serve.