This quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup is a delicious shortcut dump-everything recipe that’s on the table in less than 30 minutes.
This flavor-packed Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe is on regular rotation in my house. It’s an ideal weeknight meal because it’s so fast to make in any Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker.
First of all, this soup is truly a dump-and-go recipe. It’s a fast shortcut recipe, meaning you need just a few simple ingredients and less than half an hour to throw this easy soup together.
To make this weeknight dinner, we use a high-quality store-bought enchilada sauce. It fills the enchilada soup with serious Mexican flavors without using your entire spice cabinet.
📕 If you like the simplicity of recipes with just a few ingredients, you’ll love the shortcut chapter in our Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook, featuring:
• Quick-Cooking Chicken and Pierogi Dumplings
• Pot Stickers with Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce
• Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dip
• Cheesy Salsa-Lime Chicken
• Italian Meatball Sandwiches
We dedicated a whole chapter to these super-fast recipes because we love them as much as you!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup in ANY Brand of Electric Pressure Cooker
To whip up this easy Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup, build the enchilada soup base by adding chicken broth, enchilada sauce, canned diced tomatoes, and mild green chiles into your pressure cooking pot. Give everything a good stir, then add the chicken!
It’s a simple dump-and-press-start Instant Pot recipe!
After pressure cooking, I like to add some bright corn and drained black beans to round out this wonderful Mexican-inspired weeknight meal.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken or Bone-In Chicken for This Enchilada Soup Recipe?
Yes! Both bone-in and frozen chicken breasts will work for this Instant Pot Enchilada Soup.
For frozen chicken breasts, you can follow the recipe as written, no need for any changes to time or ingredients!
For bone-in chicken, you’ll need to add extra time—I’d set the cook time for 14 minutes. Then proceed with the recipe as written. Use an instant read thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked through before continuing the recipe.
How to Shred Chicken for Enchilada Soup
The key to a thick and flavorful Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup is to shred the chicken so it gets fully covered in tasty broth.
To shred your chicken, remove it from the Instant Pot to a cutting board after cooking it through under pressure.
You can shred the chicken using two large forks to pull the chicken breasts apart into shreds. They also make dedicated shredding tools to help speed up the job.
💡 TIP: My favorite way to shred chicken is to pop it in my electric stand mixer on low for a minute or two—the chicken shreds nice and easy!
(Also, if you prefer bites of chicken in your enchilada soup, you can simply dice the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.)
Can I Double This Recipe?
Yes! However, be careful not to fill your cooking pot past the max fill line. If needed, add just one can of enchilada sauce before pressure cooking and then add the second can when you add the black beans and corn.
How Should I Serve Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup?
The fun part about serving this pressure cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup to your family and friends is letting everyone dress their soup with their favorite toppings.
We love setting our table with bowls of assorted toppings! Our favorites include perfectly ripe diced avocado, creamy sour cream, shredded Mexican cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and crunchy tortilla strips.
Let us know what your family likes to top their enchilada soup with in the comments!
More Mexican-Flavored Weeknight Meals
If you’re a fan of the not-to-spicy but zesty Mexican flavors in this Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe, be sure to try some of these other delicious Mexican-inspired meals:
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) mild enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4.5 ounces) chopped mild green chiles
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (15 ounces, each) black beans, well-drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Shredded Mexican cheese, if desired, for topping
- Chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, for topping
- Tortilla strips, if desired, for topping
- Sour cream, if desired, for topping
- Diced avocado, if desired, for topping
- Add chicken broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, and chiles to the pressure cooking pot. Stir to combine. Add the chicken breasts. Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 5 minutes cook time.
- When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the soup and dice or shred the meat. Return the chicken to the soup in the cooking pot.
- Stir in the black beans and corn. Select Saute and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the beans and corn are heated through.
- Serve topped with cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips, sour cream, and avocado, if desired.
FOR MORE FROM PRESSURE COOKING TODAY
🥘 Browse our collection of the best pressure cooker / Instant Pot recipes.
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
👥 Join our Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group. Our positive community of pressure cooking fans use all brands of electric pressure cookers, so it’s a great resource if you have questions about your particular brand.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just Instant Pot recipes, follow us at Barbara Bakes. There we post amazing breakfasts, breads, and the best dessert recipes!