Tender pieces of chicken in a sweet lemon sauce with just a hint of ginger, garlic, and red pepper. A Pressure Cooker Chinese Lemon Chicken that will keep you at home instead of heading to your favorite Chinese restaurant.
Jim, a kind Pressure Cooking Today reader, recently contacted me and said he’d tried a couple of my chicken recipes using rabbit instead of chicken and they came out great. He also asked if I had a Pressure Cooker Chinese Lemon Chicken because it was his wife’s favorite.
Since I’m also crazy about the Lemon Chicken served at Chinese restaurants, I decided I just had to create a pressure cooker version. And I’m so glad I did – it was a hit with me and my family.
Usually, Chinese Lemon Chicken is deep fried and has a sticky yellow sauce. I decided not to add food coloring to my lemon sauce, so it isn’t yellow, but it’s got a bright lemon flavor with just a hint of heat. The chicken is tender and I didn’t miss the not-so-good for you fried coating.
I hope Jim, his wife, and you will like this Pressure Cooker Chinese Lemon Chicken just as much as my family did.
Pressure Cooker Chinese Lemon Chicken
Pressure Cooker Chinese Lemon Chicken with tender pieces of chicken in a sweet lemon sauce with just a hint of ginger, garlic, and red pepper.
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Red pepper flakes for garnish, optional
- In the pressure cooking pot, combine the chicken, lemon juice, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, sugar, rice vinegar, ginger, and chili-garlic sauce. Stir to combine.
- Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 3 minutes cook time. When the cook time ends, turn off the pressure cooker. Use a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Add the slurry to the pot. Select Simmer/Sauté and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick and syrupy. Stir in lemon zest. Serve topped with scallions and red pepper flakes (if using).
More chicken recipes you might like:
Honey Sesame Chicken, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Orange Chicken, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Tandoori Chicken, Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot Thai Red Curry with Chicken, Paint The Kitchen Red
Instant Pot Chicken Curry with Potatoes, Cookin’ Canuck