Instant Pot Chicken Taco Salad is a quick and easy pressure cooker chicken recipe, perfect for meal prep. Homemade cilantro lime dressing really makes this a salad you’ll want to make again and again.
One of my daughter’s favorite dinners is Cilantro Lime Chicken Taco Salad, a pressure cooker recipe based on my old Chicken Taco Wedges.
Update: My daughter makes this easy Chicken Taco Salad recipe in big batches to feed her family all the time. So we’ve updated the post with a new how-to video and photos to make the recipe even easier!
Making Chicken Taco Salad in an Instant Pot
To keep this recipe simple and quick, I like to dice the chicken breasts before cooking. That way, it only needs to cook for 2 minutes at high pressure. The chicken will release liquid as it cooks, so the only other liquid you need to add comes from canned tomatoes and chiles.
💡 Tip: You can also cook whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts and dice them after cooking. To do so, use a 6 minute cook time at high pressure, followed by a quick pressure release.
How to Serve Chicken Taco Salad
I almost always turn the zesty chicken into a complete meal by serving it with Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice. If I’m making both on the same day, I’ll make the rice first in the Instant Pot, then transfer it to a bowl and cover it tightly so it stays warm while I cook the chicken.
Add a drizzle of Cilantro Lime Dressing, and you have a satisfying chicken salad recipe to enjoy all week long.
Cilantro Lime Dressing
This salad dressing is full of bright, refreshing flavor and pairs well with all kinds of proteins, grains, and greens.
The dressing needs to chill for several hours to help the flavors blend and the dressing thicken up. I like to make it the day before (when I remember).
The dressing stays fresh for up to one week in the fridge! So make a big batch on Sunday and enjoy savory, cumin-spiced meals all week long.
Freezing Chicken Taco Salad
This is not only a great meal prep recipe, it also freezes well!
I typically make a big batch of chicken and a second large batch of cilantro lime rice in the pressure cooker. Then I freeze both in separate containers to grab for quick weeknight dinners or lunch to take on the go.
More Easy Pressure Cooker Mexican Dinners
If you love this recipe, try these other Instant Pot / Pressure Cooker Mexican Recipes next:
- Instant Pot Creamy Chipotle Chicken has it all: tender pieces of chicken in a just-spicy-enough, velvety sauce.
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Enchilada Pasta is a family-friendly, deeply satisfying pasta with a Central American twist.
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef Enchiladas makes tender and meaty enchiladas for any weeknight.
- Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde from Two Peas & Their Pod is bright, zesty and full of flavor.
- Low-Carb Green Chile Pork Taco Bowl from Kalyn’s Kitchen is another quick and easy Mexican meal prep recipe.
- Pressure cooker Chipotle Shredded Beef from Taste & Tell features juicy shredded beef that’s way better than take-out!
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
CILANTRO LIME DRESSING
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I sub milk if it’s all I have on hand)
- 1/3 cup jarred chunky salsa verde
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 large chicken breasts, diced into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel Original or Mild)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Prepared cilantro lime rice
- shredded lettuce
- diced fresh tomatoes
- shredded cheese
- Diced avocado,
- tortilla chips, optional
Prepare the Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- In a blender jar, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, salsa, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pulse until well combined. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Make the Chicken Taco Salad:
- Select Sauté on your pressure cooker and when the pot is hot, add the oil and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add the chicken and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, cumin, and black pepper. Lock the lid in place. Select high pressure and 2 minutes cook time.
- When the cook time ends, use a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid. Select Sauté and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the black beans and cilantro.
- Serve over lettuce, topped with chicken, cilantro lime rice, cheese, avocado, crushed tortilla chips, and cilantro lime dressing.
*The dressing will thicken and the flavors will blend better with the full chill time. However, you can shorten or skip the chill time if you're in a hurry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 479Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 1412mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
FOR MORE FROM PRESSURE COOKING TODAY
🥘 Browse our collection of the best pressure cooker / Instant Pot recipes.
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates.
👥 Join our Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group. Our positive community of pressure cooking fans use all brands of electric pressure cookers, so it’s a great resource if you have questions about your particular brand.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just Instant Pot recipes, follow us at Barbara Bakes. There we post amazing breakfasts, breads, and the best dessert recipes!