This tender, juicy, flavorful Pressure Cooker Kalua Chicken made with chicken thighs is a great alternative to Kalua Pork. You can have this easy pressure cooker meal on the table in 30 minutes.
Today’s recipe is adapted from a tasty new cookbook, The Easy 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Cookbook: 100 Delicious No-Fuss Meals for Busy People, written by my good friend and fellow food blogger Karen Petersen. Karen blogs at 365 days of Slow Cooking.
Karen loves both slow cooking and pressure cooking. You’ll find both Instant Pot (pressure cooker) recipes and slow cooker recipes on her site.
Her latest cookbook is filled with family friendly recipes. As I was looking through the cookbook, nearly every recipe in the cookbook I thought would make a great pressure cooker recipe as well.
So if you have the time and want to slow cook the recipes in your mult-cooker, that’s a great option as well. But if you are in a hurry, feel free to pressure cook the recipe instead.
My Kalua Pork recipe is super popular. It’s even in the Instant Pot Cookbook that comes with every Instant Pot purchased. I was attracted to this recipe in the cookbook because it’s similar to my Kalua Pork, but uses quicker cooking chicken thighs.
Chicken thighs are perfect for pressure cooking. Chicken thighs cooked in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot) are so tender and flavorful. The fat melts away from the meat and you’re left with the tender juicy meat.
Most grocery stores sell boneless, skinless chicken thighs that are recipe ready. I bought a big bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs from Costco. I used frozen chicken thighs in the recipe, but if your chicken thighs are thawed, use the same cook time.
The day I was making this Kalua chicken recipe, I was running short on time, so I decided to pressure cook it instead of slow cooking it. It was easily converted, I add 1/2 cup of water so it wouldn’t have any trouble coming to pressure. But other than that, the recipe is very similar to the slow cooker version.
This recipe was a big hit with my family! I’m sure it will be with yours as well. Whether you slow cook it or pressure cook it. Enjoy!
Pressure Cooker Kalua Chicken
This tender, juicy, flavorful Pressure Cooker Kalua Chicken made with chicken thighs in a great alternative to Kalua Pork. You can have this easy pressure cooker meal on the table in 30 minutes.
- Line the bottom of your pressure cooker with the bacon slices.
- Add water, salt and liquid smoke.
- Place frozen chicken thighs on top of the bacon.
- Lock lid in place. Select High Pressure and 12 minute cook time. When cook time ends, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then release any remaining pressure with a quick pressure release.
- Remove the chicken from the pressure cooking pot and shred with two forks (discard fat as you shredded). Transfer chicken to a bowl and add some of the juices from the pressure cooker to moisten the meat. Season the chicken with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve chicken as is or on slider buns or rolls.
Original Slow Cooker Directions:
- Line the bottom of the slow cooker with the bacon slices. Place the chicken thighs on top of the bacon. Sprinkle the salt and liquid smoke over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is very tender. (In the Instant Pot don’t adjust the slow cooker setting to less.)
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Discard the bacon. Shred the chicken and place on a platter.
- Season the chicken with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve the chicken with slider buns or rolls.
Other chicken recipes you might like:
Pressure Cooker Orange Chicken, Pressure Cooking Today
Pressure Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken, Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot Pulled Chicken, Copykat Recipes
Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde, Two Peas and Their Pod