Pressure Cooker Zobo Drink (Hibiscus Tea) is made from dried hibiscus petals. It’s a refreshing drink enjoyed throughout the world, especially in tropical climates where the hibiscus flower grows.
Robin, a Pressure Cooking Today reader, contacted me recently asking for help converting a Zobo drink recipe into a pressure cooker recipe. It sounded like a great summer drink, so I decided I had to try it too. (I bought my dried Hibiscus petals on Amazon.)
Zobo is also known as Sorrel, Roselle, and agua de Jamaica. The flavor is tart, similar to fresh cranberries, so adjust the sugar level to you liking.
Making Zobo Drink – Hibiscus Tea in an Instant Pot
An Instant Pot is one of the most popular brands of electric pressure cookers. They are easy to use and your Instant Pot can help you create this Zobo Drink – Hibiscus Tea!
Hibiscus tea is a natural source of Vitamin C and antioxidants, and may lower blood pressure. You can drink it hot or cold. Several recipes I saw online included rum or a bit of wine to make a sangria style drink.
The recipe I adapted my pressure cooker recipe from used the pineapple rinds to flavor the Zobo instead of fresh pineapple. I thought it was such a great idea. You get the great flavor from the rinds, and don’t have to waste any of the pineapple.
If you’re looking for a fun summer drink, give this easy recipe a try! Thanks Robin for sharing the recipe with me.
Pressure Cooker Zobo Drink (Hibiscus Tea)
- 2 cups dried hibiscus petals (zobo leaves)
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- Pineapple rind from 1 ripe pineapple
- Rinse the hibiscus leaves thoroughly with cold water to remove dust.
- Add the water, sugar, and ginger to the pressure cooking pot. Stir to dissolve sugar. Stir in hibiscus petals and pineapple rind.
- Lock lid in place, select High Pressure and 10 minutes cook time. When timer sounds, turn off pressure cooker and do a natural pressure release. (Mine took about 30 minutes to release naturally.)
- Remove pineapple rinds. Pour into a fine mesh strainer sitting in a large bowl to reserve liquid. Discard solids.
- Pour the Zobo into a serving container and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve with ice and sliced fruits.