Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is one of the best pressure cooker chicken recipes with juicy diced or shredded chicken in a spicy green chili broth with tender white beans and onion.
White Chicken Chili is my favorite soup recipe for cooler weather. And with a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, your chili tastes like it’s been simmering all day, but it cooks in just 5 minutes at High Pressure!
You can make this soup as spicy or as mild as you like, which means that this is a great recipe for families. I think your family will love it as much as mine, and I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Update: I’ve updated this long-time favorite recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Chili with new tips and photos that make it even easier to pull together on a busy night.
Making White Chicken Chili in an Instant Pot
You can make this chili with raw or cooked chicken. It’s a great way to use up leftover chicken. I like to make a big batch of Instant Pot Chicken over the weekend, shred or dice it, and store it in the freezer.
Tip: Before freezing, I usually divide the chicken into convenient 1-cup servings. Then I can reach for a container or two and pop it into the Instant Pot just before dinner.
The other option is to make Instant Pot chili with raw chicken. To do this, simply add diced chicken breasts or thighs to the cooking pot after you’ve sauteed the onions and garlic. Cook the chicken on the Sauté function until it’s no longer pink. Then proceed with the recipe as directed.
Dump and Go White Chicken Chili
If you’re short on time, you can skip the saute step to turn this recipe into an even faster dump-and-go recipe. Add everything to the pressure cooker and follow the cooking instructions as written.
Which Salsa Verde Brand Is Best?
The salsa verde brand you use can make a BIG difference in the level of spice in your chili. The Herdez brand is much spicier than the La Victoria and Pace brands. Use your favorite.
In a pinch, you can also use green taco sauce instead of salsa verde. However, this will give your chili a much smoother texture.
Five Best Instant Pot Chili Recipes
If you’re in the mood for chili after enjoying this easy White Chicken Chili, you’ll love these other quick and flavorful recipes:
- Beef and Bean Chili is thick, hearty, and satisfying, thanks to juicy pieces of beef and beans in a rich tomato sauce.
- Black Bean Quinoa Chicken Chili is a lighter recipe with juicy chicken, protein-packed quinoa and beans, and sweet potato for a bit of sweetness.
- Black Bean and Chicken Sausage Chili is full of flavor from smoky, spicy sausage.
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili from Tidbits is the perfect warming, hearty chili recipe for the spice lover.
- Instant Pot Frito Pie Chili from 365 Days of Slow Cooking transforms your favorite crunchy, salty snack food into a comforting bowl of meaty stew.
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 cups cooked or uncooked, diced chicken
- 2 cans (14 oz, each) chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa verde
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cans (15 oz, each) cannellini beans or another white bean, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Select Sauté. When hot, add the oil. Add the onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the chicken broth, chicken, cumin, red pepper flakes, and beans to the pressure cooking pot. Add the salsa verde and green chilies, but DO NOT STIR. Lock the lid in place, select High Pressure and 5 minutes cook time.
- When the cook time ends, allow the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Select Sauté and add the cornstarch mixture to the pot, stirring constantly, until chili thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Served topped with sour cream, diced avocado, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 506mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
At Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.
🥘 Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website (some of my most popular recipes include Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork).
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Or join my Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group to connect with other pressure cooking fans.
✉️ Or you can join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. You’ll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!