Spanish-Style Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is a healthy and easy one-pot meal with lean chicken breasts, red bell pepper, and fluffy rice spiced with paprika and cumin.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe: This quick Instant Pot recipe is a complete and satisfying dinner in one pot. It’s full of Spanish-inpsired flavor with just a bit of heat to please parents and kids.
We’re all about one-pan dinners here at Pressure Cooking Today. Whether it’s Instant Pot Chili Mac or One-Pot Tortellini, if we can cut back on time and dishes and get a healthy and flavorful meal on the table, you can sign us up!
This Spanish-style chicken and rice is our latest favorite one-pot pressure cooker dinner that we’re excited to share with you!
How to Make Spanish-Style Instant Pot Chicken & Rice
The flavor in this chicken and rice recipe somes from a few dried spices:
- Paprika, which is a classic Spanish seasoning made from dried peppers. It’s also called pimenton. You can use sweet or smoked paprika for this recipe, depending on your taste preferences.
- Garlic powder. This adds a nice savory element to the rice. You can also use fresh garlic if you prefer. 2 minced garlic cloves will work.
- Cumin. This is a nice nutty and warming spice to round out the sweetness of bell pepper and onion.
- Oregano. For a nice bit of fresh, herby flavor. If you’re out of oregano, you can replace it with parsley, cilantro, or marjoram.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes, if you prefer the flavor of chicken thighs to chicken breasts, you can make the swap. Just dice the boneless, skinless thighs into bite-sized pieces and follow the recipe as written.
You can certainly serve this chicken and rice dish as-is. I love it as a simple rice bowl. But my kids prefer it served with some crunchy and cooling toppings like:
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips, for scooping
You can store leftover Spanish-style Instant Pot chicken and rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. It makes a great lunch!
You can also freeze leftovers for up to three months. Let the meal defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or in the instant pot.
More Chicken and Rice Recipes
Try these other healthy protein and grain recipes for easy weeknight dinners next:
- Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is a creamy and hearty dish with tender broccoli and juicy chicken breasts.
- Green Chili Chicken and Rice is a slightly spicy Tex-Mex inspired dinner with a fresh and crunchy corn salsa on top.
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup from Barbara Bakes is a lovely light but satisfying dish with Greek flavors.
Do you LOVE this recipe?
Leave us a review below to tell us why!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into ½-inch pieces (about 2 breasts total)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Toppings, as desired, for serving
- Select sauté to preheat the pressure cooking pot. When hot, add oil and cubed chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the paprika, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, and tomato paste and stir to coat everything in the seasonings. Add the peppers, onions, and rice and stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Lock the lid in place. Select High Pressure and 3 minutes cook time.
- When the cook time ends, allow the pressure to release naturally for 7 minutes, then finish with a quick pressure release. When the valve drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve as is or with your favorite toppings, as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 436mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
At Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.
🥘 Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website (some of my most popular recipes include Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli and Easy Instant Pot Pulled Pork).
💬 Follow Pressure Cooking Today on Facebook and Instagram for the latest updates. Or join my Electric Pressure Cooker Facebook Group to connect with other pressure cooking fans.
✉️ Or you can join my free email list! You’ll get just one email a week with my latest recipes.
🥧 If you’re interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. You’ll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!